From: Adam on
I'm having very similar problems. Only I haven't been able to load into Safe
Mode. And I haven't been able to load Windows Setup from CD or any XP-based
boot discs. Mine's a home-built system that's been running perfectly for 3
years. I'm going to try to replace the updated files as given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389 and see if that helps. I have no idea
if it will or not, though.

From: ButchBaltimore on
That update will not download on my computer. I guess I am lucky since it
crashes other computers. What is the update supposed to DO?
I only went back to load it after not being able to install the latest
download: kb951847, which downloads and fails to install several times. I
thought maybe the previous (some time ago) 968389 failure was necessary to
install the new download which has something to do with Net Framework. It
says it is critical but will not install. Error message here is Ox643 for
KB951847. Between home and work I have 5 PC's . The time to play with all
these updates is becoming ridiculous, every two days there is something new
that wastes my time. I was visiting my uncle in NJ who has only Apple
machines and the whole time I was there no updates, no downloads, just works.
I ask him how long has it been since he had a notice of updates, and the
reply was months ago, he did not really remember. Next machine for my home
is APPLE!
--
NONE