From: Bob Phillips on
"Chip Pearson" <chip(a)cpearson.com> wrote in message
> This reminds me of Microsoft's decision about 10 years ago to cancel
> the MVP program. Notice was unceremoniously given to us on a Wednesday
> or Thursday and the trade press and general users blasted MS's
> decision on Friday and over the weekend. (I was quoted in the Boston
> Globe about the MS decision.) Within a few days, the MVP program was
> re-instated. Perhaps now MS will hear from the trades and the users
> that dumping NNTP is an equally bad decision and perhaps they will
> reconsider it.

Yoiu know that isn't going to happen Chip, they have dug their heels in,
they don't even respond to any of these concerns, and they are starting to
close them on the MS servers next month.

As suggested, we should just all ignore it, sign up to free NNTP servers,
there are some out there (Eternal-September (sounds like a terrorist group
<g>), absilan), and just ignore MS' decision. You even get effective spam
cntrol with these.

From: Bob Phillips on
This is true. On my news server connection I already see two that the MS
server dropped a long time ago, microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctinos,
and microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions.

We can safely ignore Answers if we so wish.

--

HTH

Bob

From: Bill R on
"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> nntp(a)microsoft.com wrote on Sat, 8 May 2010 00:02:32 -0700:
>
>> Why?
>> As you may know, newsgroups have existed for many years now;
>> however, the traffic in the Microsoft newsgroups has been
>> steadily decreasing for the past several years while customers
>> and participants are increasingly finding solutions in the
>> forums on Microsoft properties and third party sites. This
>> move will unify the customer experience, centralize content,
>> make it easier for active contributors to retain their
>> influence, mitigate redundancies and make the content easier
>> to find by customers and search engines through improved
>> indexing. Additionally, forums offer a better user and spam
>> management platform that will improve customer satisfaction by
>> encouraging a healthy discussion in a clean community space. To this
>> end, Microsoft will begin to progressively shift
>> available resources to the forums technology and discontinue
>> support for newsgroups.
>
>> In addition to offering a compelling online browser
>
> Blah! Can the Microslobs *remove* the news group even if they don't
> acknowledge it? People could still post to the group and read it on other
> servers.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

This raises questions as to who owns and controls what in Newsgroups - and I
write from a knowledge base of zero about the mechanics of Newsgroups.

If I wanted to start a Newsgrpoup on a subject who (what) actually controls
what it should be named and where the 'master' set of posts should be held?
Regarding Microsoft Newsgroups surely this would be Microsoft and it is up
to Microsoft to pull out if it so decides. In that case there will be no
information which may be provided by any of the NNTP service proividers. Is
there an idiots guide to the mechanics of NNTP?

Bill R (confused)

From: Bob Phillips on
Even if Microsoft turn off their NNTP servers, that is just one node in the
Usenet network.

Users now using msnews.microsoft.com for their NNTP server may have to find
another (free?) NNTP server to get at those same newsgroups (there are a few
around), but the groups should still be there.

Turning off their NNTP servers will only result in the loss of those
newsgroups if Microsoft can convince the Big-8 to remove them, as well as
convincing all of the NNTP peer nodes to discontinue those newsgroups,
which seems unlikely.

Bob

From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
microsoft is NOT one of the Big 8.

The Big 8 are:
comp.*, news.*, sci.*, humanities.*, rec.*, soc.*, talk.*, misc.*
--
David Biddulph