From: Bill R on
"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Even if Microsoft turn off their NNTP servers, that is just one node in
> the Usenet network.
>
> Users now using msnews.microsoft.com for their NNTP server may have to
> find another (free?) NNTP server to get at those same newsgroups (there
> are a few around), but the groups should still be there.
>
> Turning off their NNTP servers will only result in the loss of those
> newsgroups if Microsoft can convince the Big-8 to remove them, as well as
> convincing all of the NNTP peer nodes to discontinue those newsgroups,
> which seems unlikely.
>

> Bob
>
> "Bill R" <bill(a)compsols.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> Blah! Can the Microslobs *remove* the news group even if they don't
>>> acknowledge it? People could still post to the group and read it on
>>> other servers.
>>>
>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> This raises questions as to who owns and controls what in Newsgroups -
>> and I write from a knowledge base of zero about the mechanics of
>> Newsgroups.
>>
>> If I wanted to start a Newsgrpoup on a subject who (what) actually
>> controls what it should be named and where the 'master' set of posts
>> should be held? Regarding Microsoft Newsgroups surely this would be
>> Microsoft and it is up to Microsoft to pull out if it so decides. In
>> that case there will be no information which may be provided by any of
>> the NNTP service proividers. Is there an idiots guide to the mechanics
>> of NNTP?
>>
>> Bill R (confused)

I am having difficulty understanding the mechanics of NewsGroups. As I
understand it anyone can set up a NewsGroup and host it on their server.
The posts are then copied to other servers. This, presumably is why I can
see many NewsGroups on mutliple servers but some are avalaible only on some
servers. So is this is all about Microsoft turning off their NNTP servers?
If so the MS Newsgroups will eventually wither and die. If the Newsgroups
are maintained on other servers they will continue as much as before albeit
users will have to search for a server which hosts a particular Newsgroup.
Please correct me if I am wrongs.

Bill R