From: VanguardLH on
VanguardLH wrote:

> The feedback and discussion forums for the "Microsoft Forums NNTP Bridge"
> proxy prove how unreliable is Microsoft's solution. It might work but then
> stops working, it doesn't support the normal suite of NNTP commands, and a
> myriad of other problems reported by users of this gateway. Reading their
> forums shows that lots of users can't get their proxy working or keep it
> working. Also, access is very s-l-o-w when using their client (as it is
> when using their web interface).

I got the thing working and now I see why so many users are having severe
problems with this NNTP-to-forums proxy: Microsoft is NOT using a valid
Message-ID value. When you look at the headers for an article retrieved by
their proxy, it has something like:

Apparently Microsoft can't be bothered to slide in a valid domain-field on
the right-side of an "@" character. A valid MID should look like:

or more simply:

Because many newsreaders use the MID for sorting or threading, the invalid
value is screwing over a lot of newsreaders.
From: Slipstick on

Sanwin2;145588 Wrote:
> That should have read
>
> the microsoft.publics newsgroups are NOT in the list
>
> "Sanwin2" wrote:
>
> > Having read about the bridge in this thread I have managed to get it
> running.
> > The problem is the microsoft.public newsgroups are in the list. They
> are
> > mostly MSDN and Technet

They aren't supposed to be in the list - they are being closed. There
are 3 Outlook forums at Answers to replace the newsgroups. Send/receive
issues, calendar/contacts and install/set up questions. It's good to
drop down to 3 IMHO - public.outlook was never supposed to be used as a
newsgroup and the others don't get a lot of traffic - General (this one)
gets the most.

We're hoping to get one more added for Outlook - for programming
questions.

--
Slipstick

'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)

'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

--
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Sanwin2 on

"Slipstick" wrote:

> Sanwin2;145588 Wrote:
> > That should have read
> >
> > the microsoft.publics newsgroups are NOT in the list
> >
> > "Sanwin2" wrote:
> >
> > > Having read about the bridge in this thread I have managed to get it
> > running.
> > > The problem is the microsoft.public newsgroups are in the list. They
> > are
> > > mostly MSDN and Technet
>
> They aren't supposed to be in the list - they are being closed. There
> are 3 Outlook forums at Answers to replace the newsgroups. Send/receive
> issues, calendar/contacts and install/set up questions. It's good to
> drop down to 3 IMHO - public.outlook was never supposed to be used as a
> newsgroup and the others don't get a lot of traffic - General (this one)
> gets the most.
>
> We're hoping to get one more added for Outlook - for programming
> questions.
>

> --
> Slipstick
>
> 'Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center' (http://www.slipstick.com)
>
> 'Outlook Tips' (http://www.outlook-tips.net/)

Thanks for that, I am currently reading via
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/
which matches the newsgroups and I had presumed that this online forum would
continue and nntp access be turned off. I'll have another look amongst
Answers for replacements for the Outlook, and Word groups I currently read.