From: Steve_s on
On 18 July, 16:22, Bob Quintal <rquin...(a)sPAmpatico.ca> wrote:
> Steve_s <stev...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote innews:9a2196e2-1381-45b3-a156-e7906a6f7d44(a)q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.co
> m:

> >> What version?  What is the SQL statement?
>
> >> It worked on a statement I ran that looked like this
> >>         UPDATE CU INNER JOIN CH ON CU.UnitID = CH.UnitID
> >>         SET CU.UnitNum = 40, CH.YN = False
> >>         WHERE CU.PartsID=41;
>
> > Access 2007
>
> > The SQL is:
> > UPDATE qryMoveMachineSelect SET qryMoveMachineSelect.[AVAILABLE?]
> > No, qryMoveMachineSelect.ASSET_NUMBER =
> > [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [Text43],
> > qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_1 = [Forms]!
> > [frmInstallations]![txtMeter1],
> > qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_2
> > [Forms]![frmInstallations]![txtmeter2],
> > qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_3 = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> > [txtxMeter3], qryMoveMachineSelect.DATE_INSTALLED = [Forms]!
> > [frmInstallations]![txtDate];
>
> > Originally I was trying to update directly to the tables but
> > thought that may be the problem so I creaed a select query to get
> > the data but the result was exactly the same
>
> Either you miscopied the SQL from your query or you have some messed
> up statements.
>
> When I break down the query into individual statements I see missing
> equals (=)  signs in 2 places) and missing quotes around a value.
>
> UPDATE qryMoveMachineSelect
> SET
> qryMoveMachineSelect.[AVAILABLE?] No, should be = 'no' or = false
>
> qryMoveMachineSelect.ASSET_NUMBER = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> [Text43],
>
> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_1 = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> [txtMeter1],
>
> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_2 [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> [txtmeter2], missing equals sign
>
> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_3 = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> [txtxMeter3],
>
> qryMoveMachineSelect.DATE_INSTALLED = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> [txtDate];- Hide quoted text -

Hi

The equals signs are in the query. I built the query using the
standard QBE screen. Also I am led to understand that updating two
tables is feasible and am trying to understand why this will not work
rather than creat two separate queries..

Steve
From: Bob Quintal on
Steve_s <stevo.s(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in
:

> On 18 July, 16:22, Bob Quintal <rquin...(a)sPAmpatico.ca> wrote:
>> Steve_s <stev...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote
>> innews:9a2196e2-1381-45b3-a156-e790
> 6a6f7d44(a)q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.co
>> m:

>> > Access 2007
>>
>> > The SQL is:
>> > UPDATE qryMoveMachineSelect SET
>> > qryMoveMachineSelect.[AVAILABLE?] No,
>> > qryMoveMachineSelect.ASSET_NUMBER [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
>> > [Text43], qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_1 = [Forms]!
>> > [frmInstallations]![txtMeter1],
>> > qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_2
>> > [Forms]![frmInstallations]![txtmeter2],
>> > qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_3 =
>> > [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [txtxMeter3],
>> > qryMoveMachineSelect.DATE_INSTALLED = [Forms]!
>> > [frmInstallations]![txtDate];
>>
>> > Originally I was trying to update directly to the tables but
>> > thought that may be the problem so I creaed a select query to
>> > get the data but the result was exactly the same
>>
>> Either you miscopied the SQL from your query or you have some
>> messed up statements.
>>
>> When I break down the query into individual statements I see
>> missing equals (=) �signs in 2 places) and missing quotes around
>> a value.
>>
>> UPDATE qryMoveMachineSelect
>> SET
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.[AVAILABLE?] No, should be = 'no' or = false
>>
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.ASSET_NUMBER = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
>> [Text43],
>>
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_1 =
>> [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [txtMeter1],
>>
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_2 [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
>> [txtmeter2], missing equals sign
>>
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_3 =
>> [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [txtxMeter3],
>>
>> qryMoveMachineSelect.DATE_INSTALLED = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
>> [txtDate];- Hide quoted text -

> Hi
>
> The equals signs are in the query. I built the query using the
> standard QBE screen. Also I am led to understand that updating two
> tables is feasible and am trying to understand why this will not
> work rather than creat two separate queries..
>

> Steve

There are several causes where Access, and SQL in general, can create
non-updateable queries.
Some reasons: three tables in the query, left or right join in the
query, no primary key on one or more tables.(Sometimes adding the
keys to the queries helps that)

From: Steve_s on
On 19 July, 23:17, Bob Quintal <rquin...(a)sPAmpatico.ca> wrote:
> Steve_s <stev...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote innews:aca27a60-602c-4955-9c0d-a87af37750d2(a)d8g2000yqf.googlegroups.com
> :
>

> > On 18 July, 16:22, Bob Quintal <rquin...(a)sPAmpatico.ca> wrote:
> >> Steve_s <stev...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote
> >> innews:9a2196e2-1381-45b3-a156-e790
> > 6a6f7...(a)q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.co
> >> m:

> >> Either you miscopied the SQL from your query or you have some
> >> messed up statements.
>
> >> When I break down the query into individual statements I see
> >> missing equals (=)  signs in 2 places) and missing quotes around
> >> a value.
>
> >> UPDATE qryMoveMachineSelect
> >> SET
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.[AVAILABLE?] No, should be = 'no' or = false
>
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.ASSET_NUMBER = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> >> [Text43],
>
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_1 =
> >> [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [txtMeter1],
>
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_2 [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> >> [txtmeter2], missing equals sign
>
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.OPENING_METER_3 =
> >> [Forms]![frmInstallations]! [txtxMeter3],
>
> >> qryMoveMachineSelect.DATE_INSTALLED = [Forms]![frmInstallations]!
> >> [txtDate];- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi
>
> > The equals signs are in the query. I built the query using the
> > standard QBE screen. Also I am led to understand that updating two
> > tables is feasible and am trying to understand why this will not
> > work rather than creat two separate queries..
>
> > Steve
>
> There are several causes where Access, and SQL in general, can create
> non-updateable queries.
> Some reasons: three tables in the query, left or right join in the
> query, no primary key on one or more tables.(Sometimes adding the
> keys to the queries helps that)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for your help...I managed to figure out my problem which was
down to poor design on my part. I had been using the wrong field for
the initial select query. Also, this field was updated when the update
query was run initially to the value of the record which had the
available? yes/no field which was why the yes/no field was updated
when I ran the query again....By altering my select query to inlude
the correct fields the update query runs as anticipated. Thanks for
your input and sorry for wasting your time...I will however remember
the lesson well as I have been looking at this on and off for weeks
and I will keep in mind the the points you have made re non updateable
queries

Steve