From: Simon van Beek on
Dear reader,

The following VBA instruction opens a file.

Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension

Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and immediately the
file is closing.

Is there any one who knows way the extension PDF will not stay open as all
other extension will do.

Kind regards,

Simon

From: Salad on
Simon van Beek wrote:

> Dear reader,
>
> The following VBA instruction opens a file.
>
> Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension
>
> Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and immediately the
> file is closing.
>
> Is there any one who knows way the extension PDF will not stay open as all
> other extension will do.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Simon

Don't know. You could copy the code at
http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm into a module and do
something like
? fHandleFile("C:\filename.pdf",3)

From: paii, Ron on

"Simon van Beek" <SvanBeekNL(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear reader,
>
> The following VBA instruction opens a file.
>
> Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension
>
> Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and immediately the
> file is closing.
>
> Is there any one who knows way the extension PDF will not stay open as all
> other extension will do.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Simon

It may be a Windows issue and not Access. I use the same code to open files,
including PDF.

From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> Simon van Beek wrote:
>
>> Dear reader,
>>
>> The following VBA instruction opens a file.
>>
>> Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension
>>
>> Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and
>> immediately the file is closing.
>>
>> Is there any one who knows way the extension PDF will not stay
>> open as all other extension will do.
>
> Don't know. You could copy the code at
> http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm into a module and do
> something like
> ? fHandleFile("C:\filename.pdf",3)

Does the ShellExecute API behave differently from
Application.FollowHyperlink? I always thought the latter was just a
very thin wrapper around the former.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Salad on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in
>

>>Simon van Beek wrote:
>>

>>>Dear reader,
>>>
>>>The following VBA instruction opens a file.
>>>
>>>Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension
>>>
>>>Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and
>>>immediately the file is closing.
>>>
>>>Is there any one who knows way the extension PDF will not stay
>>>open as all other extension will do.
>>
>>Don't know. You could copy the code at
>>http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm into a module and do
>>something like
>> ? fHandleFile("C:\filename.pdf",3)
>

> Does the ShellExecute API behave differently from
> Application.FollowHyperlink? I always thought the latter was just a
> very thin wrapper around the former.

I got the same deal as the OP with a PDF. Using FollowHyperlink,even
specifying open in new window, it would open and then be minimized. Not
with a .txt file or .doc as they'd open restored.

With the function I provided from MVPS you can specify how you want the
file opened. And it handles PDFs just fine.