From: Mark Andrews on
I thought there was a bug with certain versions of Adobe Reader and using
followhyperlink.
I can't find the link on Microsoft's site but I seem to remember this issue.

However I would use the shell method (I think it works better).

--
Mark Andrews
RPT Software

From: David W. Fenton on
Salad <salad(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote in

> David W. Fenton wrote:
>> Does the ShellExecute API behave differently from
>> Application.FollowHyperlink? I always thought the latter was just
>> a very thin wrapper around the former.
>
> I got the same deal as the OP with a PDF. Using
> FollowHyperlink,even specifying open in new window, it would open
> and then be minimized. Not with a .txt file or .doc as they'd
> open restored.

I don't see this. Mayber there are differences in versions of Adobe
Reader?

> With the function I provided from MVPS you can specify how you
> want the file opened. And it handles PDFs just fine.

Yes. The ShellExecute API allows you to specify window mode, so if
that's a problem with Application.FollowHyperlink, that's a big
plus.

Has anyone tried alternatives to Adobe Reader, like Foxit? I
haven't, but have been tempted.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Tony Toews on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:44:12 +0200, "Simon van Beek"
<SvanBeekNL(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Application.FollowHyperlink X:\.............\FileName.Extension
>
>Only in case the extension is pdf than the file opens and immediately the
>file is closing.

What happens when you click on the PDF file directly from within
Windows Explorer?

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: jbguernsey on
On Jul 20, 5:48 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> Salad <sa...(a)oilandvinegar.com> wrote innews:6dadnRYfZZM3LdnRnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d(a)earthlink.com:
>
> > David W. Fenton wrote:
> >> Does the ShellExecute API behave differently from
> >> Application.FollowHyperlink? I always thought the latter was just
> >> a very thin wrapper around the former.
>
> > I got the same deal as the OP with a PDF.  Using
> > FollowHyperlink,even specifying open in new window, it would open
> > and then be minimized.  Not with a .txt file or .doc as they'd
> > open restored.
>
> I don't see this. Mayber there are differences in versions of Adobe
> Reader?
>
> > With the function I provided from MVPS you can specify how you
> > want the file opened.  And it handles PDFs just fine.
>
> Yes. The ShellExecute API allows you to specify window mode, so if
> that's a problem with Application.FollowHyperlink, that's a big
> plus.
>
> Has anyone tried alternatives to Adobe Reader, like Foxit? I
> haven't, but have been tempted.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

David

I've been using Foxit for PDFs for a couple of years now. It's much
quicker than Adobe and has worked fine for me with PDFs in Access.

JB
From: David W. Fenton on
jbguernsey <jeff(a)angelsystems.co.uk> wrote in
m:

> I've been using Foxit for PDFs for a couple of years now. It's
> much quicker than Adobe and has worked fine for me with PDFs in
> Access.

I had downloaded it twice before and never installed it!

I just tried it and it renders certain kinds of problematic PDFs
onscreen more clearly than Adobe Reader ever did. So I just made it
my default PDF reader/plugin.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/