From: Unknown on

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Some things to know about updating drivers:
>
> 1- Only update a driver if an updated version corrects a problem you are
> currently experiencing with the hardware in question. There is no reason
> to update a driver merely because a new version is available.
Did you ever hear of 'PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE'?
Don't oil it if it doesn't squeek? Don't fix it if it isn't broken?
Very poor stand. Why do you think autoupdates came about?

From: Unknown on

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)gawab.com> wrote in message
> Just to emphasise what "Leonard Grey" was saying in his reply ;
>
> If a device is functioning properly, there is no need to attempt to look
> for "updated drivers" at all.
Don't look if not having a problem but, what if an update is made known to
you
from the proper source?.
> In 99% of cases, the drivers that came with / installed with your hardware
> is the optimal one for the job.
>
> And in many cases, in attempting to update needlessly, you may end up with
> a non-functioning and incompatible driver and will have to use XP's "roll
> back" facility.
Many cases??? Could you give actual figures on that or is that emotional
comment?

From: J. P. Gilliver (John) on
In message <u3B48pmgKHA.2596(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Unknown
<unknown(a)unknown.kom> writes:

>"Leonard Grey" <l.grey(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Some things to know about updating drivers:
>>
>> 1- Only update a driver if an updated version corrects a problem you are
>> currently experiencing with the hardware in question. There is no reason
>> to update a driver merely because a new version is available.
>Did you ever hear of 'PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE'?
>Don't oil it if it doesn't squeek? Don't fix it if it isn't broken?
>Very poor stand. Why do you think autoupdates came about?

But oiling rarely breaks whatever it is, whether it was squeaking or
not. Installing "updated" drivers has certainly been known to break
things; for example, when the updated drivers render some (perhaps
unrelated) part of your existing system (hardware _or_ software
unusable. Not the fault of the driver makers - they can't test every
combination (of hardware and software and both), and generally _are_
trying either to fix something or add something.

>> 2- Always obtain updated drivers directly from the device manufacturer, if
>> you can. That's the only way to know that you're getting the genuine
>> article.
>>
>> Windows Update will also offer drivers -- which Microsoft gets from the
>> hardware manufacturers -- but for the optimal results and the best support
>> you should still go directly to the hardware device manufacturer for
>> updated drivers. Windows Update is good for users who are not
>> knowledgeable or experienced enough to install drivers on their own.
>>
>> 3- If the hardware device in question was installed by your computer
>> manufacturer, your first stop for drivers, even before you try the device
>> manufacturer, is your computer maker's website. The reason is that the
>> computer maker may have customized the hardware for its own purposes.
>>
>> 4- Always follow the computer or hardware manufacturer's installation
>> instructions very carefully.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> On 12/20/2009 12:56 PM, Carl wrote:
>>> I saw a plug for DriverMax on CNet, downloaded it and tried to update
>>> my drivers.
>>>
>>> It's my first time attempting to update a driver.
>>>
>>> I chose to be careful and try updating just one, to see how it went.
>>>
>>> It didn't.
>>>
>>> After following all the instructions for updating the driver for my
>>> Broadcom Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device, receiving a notification from
>>> DriverMax that the driver had been updated and restarting my Netbook
>>> running Windows XP Home SP3, I went to Device Manager> Broadcom
>>> Bluetooth 2.0 USB Device> Properties> Driver only to find that the
>>> driver version was 5.1.0.5800, dated 7/28/08 and not the downloaded v
>>> 4.2.7001.1.
>>>
>>> Any advice, suggestions, etc., as to where to go from here or on how
>>> to update drivers in general??

(If you weren't going to answer the rest of the post, it'd have been a
good idea not to quote it, but no matter.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar(a)T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
** http://www.soft255.demon.co.uk/G6JPG-PC/JPGminPC.htm for ludicrously

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep
enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" - Jean Kerr
From: Carl on
On Dec 20, 1:45 pm, "Brian A." <gonefish'n(a)afarawaylake> wrote:
as to where to go from here or on how
> > to update drivers in general??
>
>   If the downloaded version is 4.2.7001.1 as you stated, then they're an older
> version of the driver which is now installed, version 5.1.0.5800.

Sorry, Brian, got my numbers backward:

4.2.7001.1 was the version my Netbook was running and...

5.1.0.5800 was the version I downloaded and tried to install.
From: Carl on
On Dec 20, 1:55 pm, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:

>         Only seek and obtain device drivers directly from the respective
> devices' manufacturers web sites.  The drivers archived at 3rd party
> sites, such as you tried are not at all likely to be the most recent or
> most appropriate.

That's one lesson I've learned on this one. Thanks, Bruce.

(Love your Diderot quote).
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Formatting and Restoring Hard Drive
Next: RUNDLL PowerCfg