Prev: Basics newsgroup
Next: Java
From: W. eWatson on
I noticed on a PC with XP that I specified that want to control when
updates are applied, and it's OK to download them. From Control Panel I
worked my way to a place where I had a choice to use Express download.
When executed, I found I had nothing to get. OK, that makes sense.
Eventually I got to a web page (I think or likely the XP Update program)
that provided a list of downloads on my PC. Each had a green ball to the
left, which I take it meant they are installed. Is that correct? If not,
how do I actually install any updates (Windows) that might be waiting?
From: Mark Adams on

"W. eWatson" wrote:

> I noticed on a PC with XP that I specified that want to control when
> updates are applied, and it's OK to download them. From Control Panel I
> worked my way to a place where I had a choice to use Express download.
> When executed, I found I had nothing to get. OK, that makes sense.
> Eventually I got to a web page (I think or likely the XP Update program)
> that provided a list of downloads on my PC. Each had a green ball to the
> left, which I take it meant they are installed. Is that correct? If not,
> how do I actually install any updates (Windows) that might be waiting?
> .

Go to Control Panel then Automatic Updates. Click on "Change the way
Automatic Updates notifies me". Select "Notify when updates are available but
do not download or install". Click "apply" then exit. When updates are
available, a yellow shield will appear in the notification area. Click on the
shield, and a box opens. Select "Custom Install", again a box opens. Check
the boxes of the updates you want, uncheck the ones you don't want. Click
"install" and you will be offered not to be notified of those updates again.

You can see installed updates in "Add/Remove Programs" in the panel to the
left "Show Updates" or words to the effect.
From: dlsayremn on

"W. eWatson" wrote:

> I noticed on a PC with XP that I specified that want to control when
> updates are applied, and it's OK to download them. From Control Panel I
> worked my way to a place where I had a choice to use Express download.
> When executed, I found I had nothing to get. OK, that makes sense.
> Eventually I got to a web page (I think or likely the XP Update program)
> that provided a list of downloads on my PC. Each had a green ball to the
> left, which I take it meant they are installed. Is that correct? If not,
> how do I actually install any updates (Windows) that might be waiting?
> .

Sounds like you hit the Windows Update Site link at the bottom of the
Automatic Update tab in Control Panel, System. Takes you to a page that has
buttons to choose Express (high priority) or Custom (includes optional)
Update. On the left of that page is an option to Review My Updates. Gives a
list of Updates that installed or were attemted to install on your Computer.
Green circle means installed properly, black is the install failed. So, if
everything was green you are up to date.

When an Update is ready, you will have an icon appear on the task bar with a
balloon saying "Updates are available". The balloon will go away, but the
icon stays. When you are ready,click on the icon and you will be taken to the
Windows Update Web Site.

Personally, I use the Custom Update. Lists both the high priority (security
type) updates and the optional ones like audio driver updates. You are
allowed to choose what is downloaded and installed.

As Mark watson said go into Control Panel, System, Automatic Updates Tab and
select " Notify me, but don't automatically download and install".
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You've got the wrong end of the stick: You're confusing Automatic Updates
with updating manually via http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

See...

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP ("Let me fix it myself"
section)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Download but Notify: All Recommended updates are downloaded but you must
Approve which updates are installed and when they're installed.

Notify Only: You must Approve both the download & installation of all
updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

W. eWatson wrote:
> I noticed on a PC with XP that I specified that want to control when
> updates are applied, and it's OK to download them. From Control Panel I
> worked my way to a place where I had a choice to use Express download.
> When executed, I found I had nothing to get. OK, that makes sense.
> Eventually I got to a web page (I think or likely the XP Update program)
> that provided a list of downloads on my PC. Each had a green ball to the
> left, which I take it meant they are installed. Is that correct? If not,
> how do I actually install any updates (Windows) that might be waiting?

Pages: 1
Prev: Basics newsgroup
Next: Java