From: John Oliver on
I have a Roth IRA and a 401(k), each with a different institution. IMO,
I should be able to hit the "Update Transactions" button and have it
suck in all of the details. Nope... for both, I have to go to the web
site and manually download the transactions. Makes no sense. People at
both institutions have made some vague claim that because it's a
retirement account, or an investment account, or whatever, that that
just can't work, and that if I were to set up the account as a savings
account, it would. Huh? Is this some weird Quickenism, or are the
people in charge of this stuff at both institutions just too stupid or
lazy to set it up right? Can anyone else update their retirement
accounts? Is there a way to click on something in Quicken so that this
will magically start to work? Is there some fact I can hit them with
that will make them, "Oh, yeah, OK, set it up like this..."?

From: JimH on
John Oliver wrote:
> I have a Roth IRA and a 401(k), each with a different institution. IMO,
> I should be able to hit the "Update Transactions" button and have it
> suck in all of the details. Nope... for both, I have to go to the web
> site and manually download the transactions. Makes no sense. People at
> both institutions have made some vague claim that because it's a
> retirement account, or an investment account, or whatever, that that
> just can't work, and that if I were to set up the account as a savings
> account, it would. Huh? Is this some weird Quickenism, or are the
> people in charge of this stuff at both institutions just too stupid or
> lazy to set it up right? Can anyone else update their retirement
> accounts? Is there a way to click on something in Quicken so that this
> will magically start to work? Is there some fact I can hit them with
> that will make them, "Oh, yeah, OK, set it up like this..."?

Yea, I update my retirement accounts at Hewett, Fidelity, and Vanguard.
They all update with direct connect with no difficulty at all. But,
there is no magic incantation that makes everything work for everyone.

The people are probably not stupid or lazy. Heck, you are probably not
stupid or lazy either, but you didn't set it up right either. They just
have a job to do, and this is one small part that doesn't get much
attention or education, and won't ever get them a raise or promotion.

What are the retirement account investment companies? What version of
Quicken do you have? That would be the place to start if anyone is going
to help.
--
Jim
From: Art McClinton on
I can update my Roth IRA, my Rollover IRA, and my 403B with Fidelity (and
Netbenfits for the 403B). Fidelity at one point only allowed direct
downloads only for companies that paid extra, not certain if this still
exists. I also have direct download from TIAA-CREF. What FI are you have
difficulties with? If I were you I would set up a temporary free account
at Yodlee or some other personal finance web site to see if it can work with
the FI.

I doubt if it is a quicken issue and I am just as confused as you about the
claim you should change it to a savings account

Art

From: John Oliver on
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:10:58 -0700, JimH wrote:
> What are the retirement account investment companies? What version of
> Quicken do you have? That would be the place to start if anyone is going
> to help.

USAA and Principal. My Quicken is 2008 Deluxe.

From: John Oliver on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:45:37 -0400, Art McClinton wrote:
> I doubt if it is a quicken issue and I am just as confused as you about the
> claim you should change it to a savings account

I doubt it's a Quicken problem, per se, as well. At least one of the
companies I use (USAA and principal) told me that about the savings
account, and maybe both.