From: Terry Reedy on
On 5/11/2010 5:27 PM, python(a)bdurham.com wrote:
> Martin,
>
> If we install over an existing version of Python 2.6.5, will our PTH
> files and site-packages be preserved?
>
> Or do we need to back out our 3rd party packages, install Python 2.6.5
> and then manually restore our 3rd party packages?

In my experience on WinXP, installing x.y.z+1 over x.y.z nicely leaves
sitepackages alone as well as any other directories I have added under
the pythonxy directory. An uninstall and reinstall should also leave
user stuff alone.

Installing x.y+1 create and install in a new pythonx<y+1> directory,
leaving one to copy from pythonxy subdirs as desired.

It appears that the OP confused things by switching between one and all
user installs.

Terry Jan Reedy

From: Martin v. Löwis on
> If we install over an existing version of Python 2.6.5, will our PTH
> files and site-packages be preserved?
>
> Or do we need to back out our 3rd party packages, install Python 2.6.5
> and then manually restore our 3rd party packages?

An upgrade installation will only replace the Python files, and leave
all other files alone.

Regards,
Martin
From: Werner F. Bruhin on
On 11/05/2010 23:13, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>> When will it install into system32?
>>
> When you install "for all users".
>

>>> Did the upgrade inform you that it was an upgrade, or did it warn you
>>> that you would overwrite the previous installation?
>>>

>> It warned me that there is a previous installation.
>>
> Hmm. You don't remember the exact message, do you?
> I guess it was a popup saying "[TARGETDIR] exists. Are you sure you want
> to overwrite existing files?", and that it was not
> a red text saying "This update will replace your existing [ProductLine]
> installation."
>
> Please confirm.

Correct that was it.
> If so, you now have two Python installations in the same location; one
> for all users, and the older one just for you (or vice versa).

Yes, that is what I did ages ago.
> I recommend to uninstall them both, and start over.

O.K., will do that.

Thanks for your help
Werner

From: Michel Claveau - MVP on
Hi!

If you are under Vista, or Windows 7, have you unactivate UAC, before
the update?

@+

MCI