From: Werner F. Bruhin on
Just upgraded on my Windows 7 machine my copy of 2.6.4 to 2.6.5.

However doing sys.version still shows 2.6.4 even so python.exe is dated
19. March 2010 with a size of 26.624 bytes.

Is this a known issue? Or did I do something wrong?

If I install to a new folder all is well, but I would have to install
all my other stuff again (kinterbasdb, matplotlib, sphinx etc etc).

Werner

From: Martin v. Loewis on
Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
> Just upgraded on my Windows 7 machine my copy of 2.6.4 to 2.6.5.
>
> However doing sys.version still shows 2.6.4 even so python.exe is dated
> 19. March 2010 with a size of 26.624 bytes.
>
> Is this a known issue? Or did I do something wrong?

Look at the copy of python26.dll. This should be the new one; perhaps
you have another copy in the system32 folder?

Did the upgrade inform you that it was an upgrade, or did it warn you
that you would overwrite the previous installation?

Regards,
Martin
From: Werner F. Bruhin on
Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 10/05/2010 22:25, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
>
>> Just upgraded on my Windows 7 machine my copy of 2.6.4 to 2.6.5.
>>
>> However doing sys.version still shows 2.6.4 even so python.exe is dated
>> 19. March 2010 with a size of 26.624 bytes.
>>
>> Is this a known issue? Or did I do something wrong?
>>
> Look at the copy of python26.dll. This should be the new one; perhaps
> you have another copy in the system32 folder?

The one in system32 is 2.6.5 and the one in c:\python26 is 2.6.4.

When will it install into system32?
> Did the upgrade inform you that it was an upgrade, or did it warn you
> that you would overwrite the previous installation?

It warned me that there is a previous installation.

Best regards
Werner

From: Martin v. Loewis on
> When will it install into system32?

When you install "for all users".

>> Did the upgrade inform you that it was an upgrade, or did it warn you
>> that you would overwrite the previous installation?
>>
> It warned me that there is a previous installation.

Hmm. You don't remember the exact message, do you?
I guess it was a popup saying "[TARGETDIR] exists. Are you sure you want
to overwrite existing files?", and that it was not
a red text saying "This update will replace your existing [ProductLine]
installation."

Please confirm.

If so, you now have two Python installations in the same location; one
for all users, and the older one just for you (or vice versa).

I recommend to uninstall them both, and start over.

Regards,
Martin
From: python on
Martin,

If we install over an existing version of Python 2.6.5, will our PTH
files and site-packages be preserved?

Or do we need to back out our 3rd party packages, install Python 2.6.5
and then manually restore our 3rd party packages?

Thank you,
Malcolm