From: Veli-Pekka Nousiainen on
TW wrote:
> I'd much rather see a completely new OS on a new system. The current
> OS code has been taken so far already it is hard to extend even more.
Yesh!
RPL/2 language - only partially compatible in UserRPL level
WinCE machine + calculator:
the QWERTY keyboard could have calc keys shown above then

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=storefronts&landing=handhelds&category=handhelds&orderflow=1&product_code=FA637A%23ABA&catLevel=1

or perhaps this style?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/5/devices/devicedetails.mspx?id=ff9db9c8-63c5-4d24-a792-1de9767255cd

Now there is more Ro0om for special keys

The above keyboard could also be written in 90_o
so that you could read it both vertically & horizontally
(un)naturally slightly tilted

These ideas are free to use by HP calc division

From: mdr1024 on

John H Meyers wrote:
[snip!]
> "Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code."

NetBSD runs on ARM. If they were to base the new OS on NetBSD ARM and
release the source code to the community, then HP could effectively
outmaneuver all the competition.

One cannot deny that our hobby is a peculiar one - if given the
opportunity, we would take care of our own needs.

- Marco

From: Yao Konan on
Hi,

John H Meyers a écrit :

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:25:56 -0500, Yao Konan wrote:
>
> > I think it was possible to design a machine using an emulator at the
> > time of the HP49G which even if it wouldn't have been as fast as the
> > HP49G+(because of a less powerful CPU for battery life and because of a
> > less optimised emulator as i am sure that the HP49G+/HP50G emulator has
> > been written by hydryx thus ex-members of the ACO) would have been a
> > significantly better offer than the HP49G.
>
> It might have been a "starter" project,
> necessary to get further funding for more R&D.

I know and this where i think come the main error.
I think that the starter project especially if it has to be based on
the SATURN architecture should have been a replacement for the
HP38G,thus the HP39G.
To compete with the TI83+,a SATURN based calculator was enough.
Imagine if the first HP ACO calculator was a HP39G with:
*Up to 128 KB of RAM (i don't see the need for 256 KB of RAM on this
model)
*Up to 1 MB of Flash ROM with Up to 512 KB availlable for the user(i
have never understood the lack of Flash technology for this model)
*A strongly optimised and partially rewritten HP38G OS with several
goodies.such as a built-in EQW for example.
P.S:Even if HP was the first to introduce EQW,i find it curious that
Casio seems to be the only company to have fully understood the
incredible potential of EQW as even some of their scientific calculator
have built-in EQW.

I believe that this was achievable in the time they had to design the
HP49G,it would be less expensive and especially would target a much
more lucrative segment of the calculators market.

Off course it would have been wise not to have the TI locked US market
as the main target but other countries market such as those of Europe.

Anyway i should probably stop try to rewrite the past and doing the
"what if" thing.
Though it is hard to see HP wasting the fantastic potential of their
calculators and letting itself left behind by competitors.