From: kachelme on
Hi,

Has anyone else had difficulty getting subdirectories and files to show
in port 3 after installing an SD card on their hp 50g? On mine only the
directory shows. Programs filed away on the SD card work - the problem
is they don't show on the screen. Help appreciated.

Allan

From: Joe Horn on
kachelme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone else had difficulty getting subdirectories and files to show
> in port 3 after installing an SD card on their hp 50g? On mine only the
> directory shows. Programs filed away on the SD card work - the problem
> is they don't show on the screen. Help appreciated.
>
> Allan

Are you using the filer or the LIB menu? Tell us exactly what keys
you're pressing so that we can figure out what's going wrong.

-Joe-

From: kachelme on

Joe Horn wrote:
> kachelme wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone else had difficulty getting subdirectories and files to show
> > in port 3 after installing an SD card on their hp 50g? On mine only the
> > directory shows. Programs filed away on the SD card work - the problem
> > is they don't show on the screen. Help appreciated.
> >
> > Allan
>
> Are you using the filer or the LIB menu? Tell us exactly what keys
> you're pressing so that we can figure out what's going wrong.
>
> -Joe-

Joe,

Related to the above questions with regard to the SD card, when I
formatted the card it took like 5 hours. At the end of that 5 hours no
message was displayed, but the screen was blank, and, voila, port 3
listed 0.911 GB on a 2 GB card. Programs put on port 3 work, but they
just aren't seen. By this I mean in the File Manager only directories
are shown. Port 3 doesn't show under RS LIB, and nothing shows in port
3 under an external computer connection. My question is again whether
this is as it should be. Thanks.

Allan

From: Joe Horn on
kachelme wrote:

> Related to the above questions with regard to the SD card, when I
> formatted the card it took like 5 hours.

To format the card? Yikes. Bad card, probably. Formatting should
take a few moments at most. Try formatting it to FAT16 on a computer.
(FAT32 is nice, but the HP takes a long time to turn on when a big
FAT32 card is installed.)

> port 3 listed 0.911 GB on a 2 GB card.

That's reasonable, since the filer display assumes a 1 gig limit. It
*works* ok with bigger cards, but it cannot show the free mem
correctly. Not in any ROM versions so far, that is.

> Programs put on port 3 work, but they just aren't seen.
> By this I mean in the File Manager only directories
> are shown.

Directories? In port 3? Which kind, DOS directories (labeled "DIR" in
port 3) or HP directories (labeled "HPDIR" in port 3)? Are you
pressing [FILES], then [3] to get into port 3?

> Port 3 doesn't show under RS LIB.

It's not supposed to.

> and nothing shows in port 3 under an external
> computer connection.

There's no way to access port 3 via the USB cable.

Is any of that helpful?

-Joe-

From: kachelme on

Joe Horn wrote:
> kachelme wrote:
>
> > Related to the above questions with regard to the SD card, when I
> > formatted the card it took like 5 hours.
>
> To format the card? Yikes. Bad card, probably. Formatting should
> take a few moments at most. Try formatting it to FAT16 on a computer.
> (FAT32 is nice, but the HP takes a long time to turn on when a big
> FAT32 card is installed.)
>
> > port 3 listed 0.911 GB on a 2 GB card.
>
> That's reasonable, since the filer display assumes a 1 gig limit. It
> *works* ok with bigger cards, but it cannot show the free mem
> correctly. Not in any ROM versions so far, that is.
>
> > Programs put on port 3 work, but they just aren't seen.
> > By this I mean in the File Manager only directories
> > are shown.
>
> Directories? In port 3? Which kind, DOS directories (labeled "DIR" in
> port 3) or HP directories (labeled "HPDIR" in port 3)? Are you
> pressing [FILES], then [3] to get into port 3?
>
> > Port 3 doesn't show under RS LIB.
>
> It's not supposed to.
>
> > and nothing shows in port 3 under an external
> > computer connection.
>
> There's no way to access port 3 via the USB cable.
>
> Is any of that helpful?
>
> -Joe-

Joe,

Thanks. I did format again, this time on my labtop. Surprisingly, the
format did not eliminate the two DOS directories on the card, nor did
it eliminate a small program under one of them.

Format on the labtop, however, has not helped resolve what prompted my
initial inquiry. Files 3 still only shows the two DOS directories I
have on the SD card, and not any programs under them. My questions are
whether this is as it should be, and are there any ways of seeing what
programs are in these SD directories. (Perhaps every program stored on
the SD card needs some additional programming to help make it visible.)

Allan