From: John Drescher on
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Joe <joe(a)freakyacres.com> wrote:
> I'm about to install 3.4.5 over 3.0.4 on an old FreeBSD 5.2.1 server from
> source.  The server is backed up to tape.
>
> Could I make life easier by backing up some files by hand to another
> directory?
>
> In theory should "make install" be all I have to do?  (yes I ran configure
> and make)
>
> Will the old smb.conf need modified?

Yes definitely. You are going ahead 6 years of development.

Normally you are supposed to take a look at the change logs between
versions to determine what parameters have been changed or removed but
that would be very painful for that type of move.

I would run

testparm

before starting samba and fix any thing it complains about.

John
2010/1/25 John Drescher <drescherjm(a)gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Joe <joe(a)freakyacres.com> wrote:
>> I'm about to install 3.4.5 over 3.0.4 on an old FreeBSD 5.2.1 server from
>> source.  The server is backed up to tape.
>>
>> Could I make life easier by backing up some files by hand to another
>> directory?
>>
>> In theory should "make install" be all I have to do?  (yes I ran configure
>> and make)
>>
>> Will the old smb.conf need modified?
>>

> Yes definitely. You are going ahead 6 years of development.
>
> Normally you are supposed to take a look at the change logs between
> versions to determine what parameters have been changed or removed but
> that would be very painful for that type of move.
>
> I would run
>
> testparm
>
> before starting samba and fix any thing it complains about.

Would it also help to run "testparm -sv" with the old version and then
again after the upgrade to see what defaults have changed? Or would
there be too many differences?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(a)gmail.com>
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Joe <joe(a)freakyacres.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/2010 1:53 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Joe<joe(a)freakyacres.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm about to install 3.4.5 over 3.0.4 on an old FreeBSD 5.2.1 server from
>>> source.  The server is backed up to tape.
>>>
>>> Could I make life easier by backing up some files by hand to another
>>> directory?
>>>
>>> In theory should "make install" be all I have to do?  (yes I ran
>>> configure
>>> and make)
>>>
>>> Will the old smb.conf need modified?
>>>

>> Yes definitely. You are going ahead 6 years of development.
>>
>> Normally you are supposed to take a look at the change logs between
>> versions to determine what parameters have been changed or removed but
>> that would be very painful for that type of move.
>>
>> I would run
>>
>> testparm
>>
>> before starting samba and fix any thing it complains about.
>>
>> John
>>

> I didn't make install yet but ran testparm from the compile directory.
>
> It complains...
>
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtalloc.so.1" not found
>
> So I expect samba may have trouble starting also.  Any tips?

libtalloc.so.1 is part of samba

John
On 1/25/2010 4:47 PM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Joe<joe(a)freakyacres.com> wrote:

>>> Yes definitely. You are going ahead 6 years of development.
>>>
>>> Normally you are supposed to take a look at the change logs between
>>> versions to determine what parameters have been changed or removed but
>>> that would be very painful for that type of move.
>>>
>>> I would run
>>>
>>> testparm
>>>
>>> before starting samba and fix any thing it complains about.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> I didn't make install yet but ran testparm from the compile directory.
>>
>> It complains...
>>
>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtalloc.so.1" not found
>>
>> So I expect samba may have trouble starting also. Any tips?
>

> libtalloc.so.1 is part of samba
>
> John

So is there any way to run the new version of testparm before the
actual installation?
On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Joe <joe(a)freakyacres.com> wrote:
> On 1/25/2010 4:47 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>>> I didn't make install yet but ran testparm from the compile directory.
>>>
>>> It complains...
>>>
>>> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libtalloc.so.1" not found
>>>
>>> So I expect samba may have trouble starting also.  Any tips?
>>

>> libtalloc.so.1 is part of samba
>>
>> John
>>

> So is there any way to run the new version of testparm before the
> actual installation?

Possibly by running ldconfig for the folder that contains libtalloc.so.1

--
John M. Drescher