From: Gaiseric Vandal on
On 05/24/2010 04:46 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8. I'd like to update
> it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
> for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.
>
> After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
> longer log in to the domain, I get:
>
> netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
> FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$
>
> While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
> have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
> domain.
>
> Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
> to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?

I am guessing that smbpasswd is not in the TDB format supported by Samba
3.5. I think the older format got dropped along the way.

Are the user accounts OK? You could prob use "pdbedit -w" (from the old
version) to dump the accounts to a text file. And then maybe write a
script (perl has a nice split command) to parse the file into a list of
machine names. And then run something like
for i in `cat thelist.txt` do
smbpasswd -x $i
smbpaswd -m -a $i
done

The other option may be to use pdbedit to dump the passwd to a text or
TDB file, backup /etc/smbpasswd and then use pdbedit (to reimport the
accounts.

On 05/24/2010 3:46 PM, Steve Wolfe wrote:
> I have a fairly old Samba server, 3.0.25, on CentOS 4.8. I'd like to update
> it to something more modern, so I grabbed the "Enterprise Samba" 3.5 RPMs
> for RHEL, and went to work on a test machine.
>
> After upgrading via "rpm -U ./*.rpm", starting nmbd and smbd, I can no
> longer log in to the domain, I get:
>
> netlogon_creds_server_check failed. Rejecting auth request from client
> FREESCALE machine account FREESCALE$
>
> While /etc/samba/smbpasswd remains seemingly untouched from the upgrade, I
> have to delete and recreate each account before it will let me log in to the
> domain.

If you were using smbpasswd as the passdb backend, note that the default
changed to tdbsam in version 3.4.0.
http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-3.4.0.html
To continue to use smbpasswd, you would have to declare it in smb.conf.
passdb backend = smbpasswd.

> Since there are about a hundred workstations (and more accounts), I'd like
> to make this a more seamless transition... any tips for a newb?

You could also export your existing smbpasswd to tdbsam.
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#pdbeditthing

Account Import/Export

The |pdbedit| tool allows import/export of authentication (account)
databases from one backend to another. For example, to import/export
accounts from an old |smbpasswd| database to a /|tdbsam|/ backend:

1.

|root# |*|pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e tdbsam|*

2.

Replace the /|smbpasswd|/ with /|tdbsam|/ in the /|passdb
backend|/ configuration in |smb.conf|.

Dale
Perfect! On the test server, I just upgraded, did 'pdbedit -i smbpasswd
-e tdbsam', and everything seems to have worked. Thank you very much.

steve