From: Mark Lawrence on
I'm like to go direct to Python 3.1 if possible, but if necessary I'll
happily use Python 2.7 as an interim measure. However I'm uncertain as
to the status of matplotlib and its dependency on numpy. I've tried
googling their development mailing lists but don't really understand
what the current situation is. Could somebody please recommend whether
I take the direct or indirect route to Python 3.1. FWIW I'm on Windows
Vista.

TIA.

Mark Lawrence.

From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/16/10 10:18 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> I'm like to go direct to Python 3.1 if possible, but if necessary I'll
> happily use Python 2.7 as an interim measure. However I'm uncertain as
> to the status of matplotlib and its dependency on numpy. I've tried
> googling their development mailing lists but don't really understand
> what the current situation is. Could somebody please recommend whether
> I take the direct or indirect route to Python 3.1. FWIW I'm on Windows
> Vista.

Numpy isn't available for 3.1 yet. IIUC, its not That Terribly Awfully
Long Away (meaning, some indeterminate time probably counted in months
and not years), but its not there yet.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Robert Kern on
On 6/17/10 12:24 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On 6/16/10 10:18 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> I'm like to go direct to Python 3.1 if possible, but if necessary I'll
>> happily use Python 2.7 as an interim measure. However I'm uncertain as
>> to the status of matplotlib and its dependency on numpy. I've tried
>> googling their development mailing lists but don't really understand
>> what the current situation is.

Asking those mailing lists is probably the best course.

>> Could somebody please recommend whether
>> I take the direct or indirect route to Python 3.1. FWIW I'm on Windows
>> Vista.
>
> Numpy isn't available for 3.1 yet. IIUC, its not That Terribly Awfully
> Long Away (meaning, some indeterminate time probably counted in months
> and not years), but its not there yet.

I believe it builds and passes most tests. Maybe not on Vista, though.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco