From: Jazsnap on
We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently
we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the
Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the other DC to server
2008 R2.

I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is
server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of
what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be?

Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function & forest
function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2 (via server
2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others; demote the FRD
to a member server then finally raise the forest & functional levels of the
2 remaining DCs?

Any advice would be greatly received?

Regards,
Jason
From: Bonno Bloksma on
Hi,

> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2. Currently
> we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want to replace the
> Forest Root Domain box with new hardware & upgrade the other DC to server
> 2008 R2.
>
> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008 but is
> server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also not sure of
> what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain box would be?
>
> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function & forest
> function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008 R2 (via server
> 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the others; demote the FRD
> to a member server then finally raise the forest & functional levels of the
> 2 remaining DCs?
>
> Any advice would be greatly received?

The route you propose seems the proper way but I would make the new Win2k8 server a DC and maybe
transfer the FSMO roles before upgrading the second box. If during the upgrade something is not
ready for a Win2k8 DC it's a bit late finding out. This way you will have a wording Win2k8 DC before
upgrading an older DC to Win2k8.

Make sure you prepare the AD using the adprep tool.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728(WS.10).aspx

Bonno Bloksma

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello Jazsnap,

See my blog about upgrading to Windows server 2008 R2:
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/archive/2010/02/06/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2000-to-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2.aspx

If you choose the way above there is no need to go over Windows server 2003.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: Hank Arnold on
In addition to Meinolf's and Bonno's processes, you need to determine
whether or not your current boxes support the OS. IIRC< Windows 2008 R2
*REQUIRES* a 64 bit server. I'm dubious that any server running Windows
2000 meets that requirement.....

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

From: Jazsnap on
Hank Arnold <rasilon(a)aol.com> wrote in

> In addition to Meinolf's and Bonno's processes, you need to determine
> whether or not your current boxes support the OS. IIRC< Windows 2008
> R2 *REQUIRES* a 64 bit server. I'm dubious that any server running
> Windows 2000 meets that requirement.....
>

> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
>
> On 5/28/2010 7:05 AM, Jazsnap wrote:
>> We would like to upgrade our servers to Windows server 2008 R2.
>> Currently we have two Windows 2000 (SP 4) domain controllers, we want
>> to replace the Forest Root Domain box with new hardware& upgrade the
>> other DC to server 2008 R2.
>>
>> I understand it's not possible to upgrade from 2000 straight to 2008
>> but is server 2003 still available to ugrade to in between? I'm also
>> not sure of what the implications of retiring the Forest Root Domain
>> box would be?
>>
>> Would the best plan be to add the new 2008 server (domain function&
>> forest function level: 2000); upgrade the second box to Server 2008
>> R2 (via server 2003?); transfer the roles from the FRD box to the
>> others; demote the FRD to a member server then finally raise the
>> forest& functional levels of the 2 remaining DCs?
>>
>> Any advice would be greatly received?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

Thanks for all the replies, they're all of great help.
Jason