From: Horszowski on
Someone please refresh my memory.
I remember there was some confusion (for me anyway) on upgrading the
ROM from an SD card. In order to do so, the card must be formatted
with FAT, however the calculator will only format to FAT cards smaller
than 32 meg and FAT32 for 32 megs and larger, therefore you could only
upgrade the ROM from an SD card 32 megs or larger if that card was
formatted to FAT by the PC. Is this correct or am I missing
something?.

Thanks
From: David Brigada on
FAT16 should work up to 2GB.

-Dave

From: Eric Rechlin on
"Horszowski" <horszowski(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember there was some confusion (for me anyway) on upgrading the
> ROM from an SD card. In order to do so, the card must be formatted
> with FAT, however the calculator will only format to FAT cards smaller
> than 32 meg and FAT32 for 32 megs and larger, therefore you could only
> upgrade the ROM from an SD card 32 megs or larger if that card was
> formatted to FAT by the PC. Is this correct or am I missing
> something?.

That's exactly right. Don't bother formatting the card with the calculator.
Use a PC to make sure you always format it with FAT16.

FAT32 has less "slack" space (wasted space at the end of files due to
cluster boundaries), so you can fit more small files on a card with FAT32,
but given the limitations of the calculator I can't see how anybody could
reasonably approach the FAT16 limit with the 2GB cards that are the smallest
widely available size today. The benefits of FAT16 are better performance
(the calculator turns on faster because it doesn't have to scan as many
clusters when it is checking the SD card at powerup) and ROM upgrade
support.

I have no idea why the calculator defaults to FAT32 for 32MB+ cards. I
guess you'd have to ask Kinpo, because it makes no sense to me.

Regards,

Eric Rechlin

From: Iskon News on
> That's exactly right. Don't bother formatting the card with the
> calculator. Use a PC to make sure you always format it with FAT16.
>
> FAT32 has less "slack" space (wasted space at the end of files due to
> cluster boundaries), so you can fit more small files on a card with FAT32,
> but given the limitations of the calculator I can't see how anybody could
> reasonably approach the FAT16 limit with the 2GB cards that are the
> smallest widely available size today. The benefits of FAT16 are better
> performance (the calculator turns on faster because it doesn't have to
> scan as many clusters when it is checking the SD card at powerup) and ROM
> upgrade support.
>
> I have no idea why the calculator defaults to FAT32 for 32MB+ cards. I
> guess you'd have to ask Kinpo, because it makes no sense to me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Eric Rechlin

I belive i can answer your question:

-we can all agree that most files are small (around 1 to 5 kiBs)
-you could run some statistics, but even without statistics (just by
examinig my caluclators card) it looks that way

Knowing this the optimal "allocation unit" (sector) size would be "as small
as can be" (512 Bytes). That way we get minimum slack space that you spoke
of AND calculator handles less data when accessing SD at once (in short:
works faster in our case)

So if we keep our "sector" size at 512 bytes using FAT (16 bit) we can use
up to 32 MiBs. (64k sectors of 512 bytes each)
ofcourse we could use 1kiB sectors (which ist still reasonable) and use up
to 64 MiBs cards
NOTE:
for example if you're accessing a variable of several nibbles you calculator
(at lower level)
would move around 1 kiB of data which is about twice more than it would
using 512 byte sectors.
And using 512 byte sectors is actualy about 80 times more than your
"usefull" data.

At the time when HP requested FAT32 support somone probably mentioned that
512 byte sectors should be prefered
KINPO did the math and thats why it works that way

MORE TO SD:
although i'm still using my 16 MiB SD and i still find it to be more than
enough for all my needs i played a bit with 1 GiB microSD with adapter to
SD.
AND... it works -so i made some tests with FAT32

1. formated the card with 512 bytes per sector ended up with 1 M+ sectors,
the startup delay was about 3 or 4 seconds
(i didnt bother to time it accurately it was unacceptable to wait for
calculator to switch on for so long)
BUT then i realized that when i put the card in to card reader on my PC
there is similar delay for card to be recognised and mounted as a drive.
Much stronger computer made me realize that nothing is wrong with the
calculator, and there should be other ways to work this out.

2. i played and tested with sector size and sector count and i realized that
startup delay is not bothering as long as the total number of secors was
reasonable

My conclusion: i would prefer for my card to be 32 or 64 MiBs and even if i
didn't have one i would format the card so the startup time would be
unnoticable and calculator would not handle massive overhead sectors when
accessing SD.
(even if i loose much of the original capacity, you would loose much more in
"slack" and at the same time it would work slower, greater startup delay and
so on...)

I mentioned many times before and i still belive it's right:
Port0 -keep your RAM clean (for run-time memory)
Port1 for temporary stuff
Port2 (flash) for libraries <- the ones i actualy DO frequently use (not
every single one that i get)
SD card for storage and ALL other (like hard drive on your PC)

I wrote a simple small startup program to recall important things and
parametters form SD, like flags and stuff and configures my calc the way i
wanted it for me.
That way even when the calc gets locked up, reset, reboted, restarted...
whatever nothing is changed it's all the way it was,
Also when i put the card into other calculator i just copy STARTUP to
"home", restart (ON-C) and the calculator is exactly like i want it to be.

At todays prices for flash cards sharing a card between camera, cellphone or
any other device is nonsense.
Very large and sophisticated programs, games etc. can be done so that
everything is read (recalled) from SD, executed and processed "on demand" or
"cached" in RAM as much as your environment allows and requires.
In general with a little care and dedication to given (working) environment
the possibilities are truly endless.
(with no changes at all, just an adjustment in our point of view)

(just some thoughts from me :-)
Regarding topic: i prefer to update the ROM using a cable :-)

Regards,
manjo
http://fly.srk.fer.hr/~manjo/openfire/