From: Scot T. Martin on
Scanning through the MathArchives, I see others have faced the challenge
before of trying to get hyperlinks into usage statements. Is the link
below from 2004 still current for 2010 or are there now improved
approaches?

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2004/Apr/msg00220.html

From: David Park on
If you create paclet documentation with Workbench, then Mathematica itself
automatically adds the RightGuillermet (??) to the usage message and it
links to the corresponding Function page in the documentation.

But this whole process is rather flakey and hidden from the user. In the
present Workbence 2.0, and Mathematica 7.0.1 there is, for example, a bug if
the application contains more than one package. Then some additional
statements must be added to the PacletInfo.m file, and those statements
generate warnings in Workbench - but work all right. This will probably be
fixed in the next Mathematica release.

Why can't usage messages be freed from their archaic String format?

David Park UMLF
djmpark(a)comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Scot T. Martin on
As my question in 2010 is still relevant to 2004, I'll post here some code
that I put together yesterday that might also be relevant to someone else
in future years for developing usage statements:

With[
{
hyperlinkConstructor :=

Function[
{text, linkText, linkLocation},

With[
{preText =
"\!\(\*ButtonBox[\(" <> linkText <>
"\),Active->\"True\",BaseStyle->\"Link\",ButtonData->\"",
postText = "\"]\)"
},

With[
{hyperlinkText = StringJoin[preText, linkLocation, postText]},
text <> " " <> hyperlinkText
]
]
]
},

n::usage =
hyperlinkConstructor[
"n[a_] .... explanation that uses a NormalDistribution.",
"Read more about NormalDistribution.",
"paclet:ref/NormalDistribution"
]
]