From: ram on
I need to configure a postfix server that relays mails from a windows
based App.
The App is an age old custom application written and has no options to
configure except an outgoing IP :-(

But I need to manage the bounces and so I was thinking of changing the
env from to a VERP format.
How do I configure postfix to always change the email to a VERP format

Thanks
Ram

From: Wietse Venema on
ram:
> I need to configure a postfix server that relays mails from a windows
> based App.
> The App is an age old custom application written and has no options to
> configure except an outgoing IP :-(
>
> But I need to manage the bounces and so I was thinking of changing the
> env from to a VERP format.
> How do I configure postfix to always change the email to a VERP format

I have never had good input on VERP user interface design, so your
options are limited:

a) Use an SMTP proxy that produces SMTP commands as described in
http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html

b) Edit Postfix source code.

Wietse

From: Wietse Venema on
Wietse Venema:
> ram:
> > I need to configure a postfix server that relays mails from a windows
> > based App.
> > The App is an age old custom application written and has no options to
> > configure except an outgoing IP :-(
> >
> > But I need to manage the bounces and so I was thinking of changing the
> > env from to a VERP format.
> > How do I configure postfix to always change the email to a VERP format
>
> I have never had good input on VERP user interface design, so your
> options are limited:
>
> a) Use an SMTP proxy that produces SMTP commands as described in
> http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html
>
> b) Edit Postfix source code.

On the sending side, a possible "usability" feature would be:

- Adding a VERP command to Postfix access maps or header/body_checks,
which would turn on VERP-style delivery for a particular message.
Turning VERP based on email content would be safe only when you
don't receive mail from hostile systems.

Wietse