From: David Kaye on
Just a reminder that names, titles, and other material on Usenet is required
to be 7-bit ASCII. This means no 8-bit foreign characters, etc. Many
newsreaders display garbage when trying to render 8-bit characters. (8-bit is
not ASCII by the way.)

Here's the defining standard:

"Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space through
tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")" (right
parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail standard, in
particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!" (bang), "/"
(slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full names.

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| Just a reminder that names, titles, and other material on Usenet is required
| to be 7-bit ASCII. This means no 8-bit foreign characters, etc. Many
| newsreaders display garbage when trying to render 8-bit characters. (8-bit is
| not ASCII by the way.)

| Here's the defining standard:

| "Full names may contain any printing ASCII characters from space through
| tilde, except that they may not contain "(" (left parenthesis), ")" (right
| parenthesis), "<" (left angle bracket), or ">" (right angle bracket).
| Additional restrictions may be placed on full names by the mail standard, in
| particular, the characters "," (comma), ":" (colon), "@" (at), "!" (bang), "/"
| (slash), "=" (equal), and ";" (semicolon) are inadvisable in full names.

| Read more: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1036.html#ixzz0gU6PBCSj

If you are posting this because you think the interpretation if not interpreted
properly...
=?windows-1256?B?1NHm3g==?=

=?windows-1256?B?1ebRIOHh38jH0SDd3tggKzIx/Q==?=

is giberish and the didplay is NON-ASCII...

You just don't understand International coding.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>If you are posting this because you think the interpretation if not interpreted
>properly...

RFC 1036 clearly governs Usenet. The RFC standard is a STANDARD and it allows
only true ASCII.

>You just don't understand International coding.

No, YOU don't understand that Usenet is American and does not allow for
international coding. Usenet uses a 7-bit ASCII code, (characters 0 through
127, with some control codes ignored). RFC 1036 has not been changed since
1987 because nobody has felt the need to redo a standard which has worked
really well these past 23 years.

Note that there are plenty of newsgroups that do not use non-standard codes.
I draw your attention to ba.internet, ba.broadcast, rec.radio.broadcast,
soc.motss, and others that have been around for a long time. People in those
newsgroups use ASCII, not 8-bit because they know what standards are all
about.

Once again I call your attention to RFC 1036, the STANDARD that applies to
Usenet: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1036.txt

For those folks who aren't familiar with the term "Usenet", you folks are
posting on Usenet, a messaging system that is not related to the Web, and in
fact predates both the Web and the Internet itself. It happens that nearly
all traffic is distributed to Usenet via Internet now, and that there are a
few Web-based interfaces to Usenet such as Google Groups, but Usenet is a very
distinct animal.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>If you are posting this because you think the interpretation if not interpreted
>>properly...

| RFC 1036 clearly governs Usenet. The RFC standard is a STANDARD and it allows
| only true ASCII.

>>You just don't understand International coding.

| No, YOU don't understand that Usenet is American and does not allow for
| international coding. Usenet uses a 7-bit ASCII code, (characters 0 through
| 127, with some control codes ignored). RFC 1036 has not been changed since
| 1987 because nobody has felt the need to redo a standard which has worked
| really well these past 23 years.

| Note that there are plenty of newsgroups that do not use non-standard codes.
| I draw your attention to ba.internet, ba.broadcast, rec.radio.broadcast,
| soc.motss, and others that have been around for a long time. People in those
| newsgroups use ASCII, not 8-bit because they know what standards are all
| about.

| Once again I call your attention to RFC 1036, the STANDARD that applies to
| Usenet: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1036.txt

| For those folks who aren't familiar with the term "Usenet", you folks are
| posting on Usenet, a messaging system that is not related to the Web, and in
| fact predates both the Web and the Internet itself. It happens that nearly
| all traffic is distributed to Usenet via Internet now, and that there are a
| few Web-based interfaces to Usenet such as Google Groups, but Usenet is a very
| distinct animal.

Usenet is Internationand the following string IS ASCII !

From: MEB on
On 02/24/2010 05:38 PM, David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>
>
> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>> If you are posting this because you think the interpretation if not interpreted
>>> properly...
>
> | RFC 1036 clearly governs Usenet. The RFC standard is a STANDARD and it allows
> | only true ASCII.
>

>>> You just don't understand International coding.
>
> | No, YOU don't understand that Usenet is American and does not allow for
> | international coding. Usenet uses a 7-bit ASCII code, (characters 0 through
> | 127, with some control codes ignored). RFC 1036 has not been changed since
> | 1987 because nobody has felt the need to redo a standard which has worked
> | really well these past 23 years.
>
> | Note that there are plenty of newsgroups that do not use non-standard codes.
> | I draw your attention to ba.internet, ba.broadcast, rec.radio.broadcast,
> | soc.motss, and others that have been around for a long time. People in those
> | newsgroups use ASCII, not 8-bit because they know what standards are all
> | about.
>
> | Once again I call your attention to RFC 1036, the STANDARD that applies to
> | Usenet: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1036.txt
>
> | For those folks who aren't familiar with the term "Usenet", you folks are
> | posting on Usenet, a messaging system that is not related to the Web, and in
> | fact predates both the Web and the Internet itself. It happens that nearly
> | all traffic is distributed to Usenet via Internet now, and that there are a
> | few Web-based interfaces to Usenet such as Google Groups, but Usenet is a very
> | distinct animal.
>

> Usenet is Internationand the following string IS ASCII !
>
> =?windows-1256?B?1ebRIOHh38jH0SDd3tggKzIx/Q==?=

And I might mention and direct to:

if the reader does not include in its header:

or similar, the services/servers will apply whatever they use for the
defaults FROM/ON that server, or locally within the reader as its
default or otherwise set, and from installed font patterns/support.

Neither of the two of you have postings which contain these header
inclusions.

AND I will remind both of you the ACTUAL interface to this forum is via
Microsoft's site, we just happen to be using the NNTP services to access it.