From: KenP on
?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my Administrator
account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down correctly.
How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?

What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so I
thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from being
able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be two
kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the pawn
shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?

Thanks in advance.
From: William Hart on
"KenP" <KenP(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my
> Administrator
> account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down
> correctly.
> How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
>
> What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so
> thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from
> being
> able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be
> two
> kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the
> pawn
> shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
> password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?

A password is pointless for this sort of protection (though good for other
things). A thief is after your hardware, not your data. They'll just reload
Windows.

--
WH

From: Arthur on
When you buy a new computer or load XP fresh and use it for the first time
yo boot directly into the OS as you are the only user which is named
"Administrator" .. by default, this "account" has no password. When you
create a new profile, you usually give this "re-named" Administrator account
.... your name, and you put a password in. Problem is ...again, by default,
now the "Administrator" is now hidden, and still has no password , and your
new "Owner" account has one. The Administrator is your last-chance effort
to fix anything the other profile did wrong ... you CTRL+AL+DELETE twice,
then hit enter to get into the Administrators realm. Someone wanting to
break into your computer needs only to do that ... unless, you went one step
forward and actually put a password on this account, which you can do .....
BUT NEVER FORGET IT, because you won't be allowed in again without
re-loading the OS.

From: Rock on
KenP wrote:

> ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into my Administrator
> account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write down correctly.
> How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
>
> What started this episode is a friend of mine had his computer stolen, so I
> thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent someone from being
> able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There appears to be two
> kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it directly to the pawn
> shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a user name and
> password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If someone has physical control of the computer they can read the files.
A password on an account is not going to stop that.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

From: Sparda on
"" wrote:
> "KenP" <KenP(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ?omehow I got my user accounts dorked up and can't get into
> my
> > Administrator
> > account. Apparently I entered my password and did not write
> down
> > correctly.
> > How do I erase/delete this account so I can start over?
> >
> > What started this episode is a friend of mine had his
> computer stolen, so
> > thought I'd add the user account and password to prevent
> someone from
> > being
> > able to get into into my PC in event it got stolen. There
> appears to be
> > two
> > kinds of computer thieves, the one that wants to take it
> directly to the
> > pawn
> > shop and the one that thinks he stole a gold mine. With a
> user name and
> > password, how easy is it to get into the PC if it is stolen?
>
> A password is pointless for this sort of protection (though
> good for other
> things). A thief is after your hardware, not your data.
> They'll just reload
> Windows.
>
> --
> WH

To make your PC a non-target for thrifes get a HUGE case, so that it
is realy heavy and is difficult to handle.

EXAMPLE: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lian_Li_Cases.html
(bottom of page)

You may also wish to make it unique, so that it easily distingueshed
from other computers.

Then, if you plan on going away for a week or so for holiday, remove
the hard drives and hide them out of sight (remember, the hardware is
replacable, your data isnt) also set a BIOS password, set no boot
devies in the BIOS, you may also be parinoid inof to put a GPS tracker
in your computer so in the event that it is stolen, you can follow it
where ever it gose, in adition to this, you may wish to anoy the
theife by disabling the computer by removing the fuse from the PSU :)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-User-Accounts-ftopict415009.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1383005
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2