From: Dan on
When I open Task Manager and click the Users tab, there are no users
displayed, but I can still see my name in the shutdown tab. How can I get my
display back?
From: Ramesh, MS-MVP on
Dan,

This happens if the Terminal Services or the Fast User Switching service are
Disabled.

1. Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
2. Locate Terminal Services and double-click it
3. Set the Startup type to Automatic, and click Apply
4. Click the Start button to launch the service manually.
5. Now Task Manager User Name field will show up.

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

From: hpum on
Had the same problem with Dan which incidentally is related to my fast switch
user problem, I TRIED YOUR STEPS to get the terminal service to start, but I
got this error after step 4:

COULD NOT START THE TERMINAL SERVICE IN TH ELOCAL COMPUTER.
ERROR 1083: THE EXECUTEABLE PROGRAM THAT THIS SERVICE IS CONFIGURED TO RUN
IN DOES NOT IMPLEMENT THE SERVICE.

Any workarounds?

From: Robert Gething on
hpum wrote:
> Had the same problem with Dan which incidentally is related to my fast switch
> user problem, I TRIED YOUR STEPS to get the terminal service to start, but I
> got this error after step 4:
>
> COULD NOT START THE TERMINAL SERVICE IN TH ELOCAL COMPUTER.
> ERROR 1083: THE EXECUTEABLE PROGRAM THAT THIS SERVICE IS CONFIGURED TO RUN
> IN DOES NOT IMPLEMENT THE SERVICE.
>
> Any workarounds?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>

>>Dan,
>>
>>This happens if the Terminal Services or the Fast User Switching service are
>>Disabled.
>>
>>1. Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
>>2. Locate Terminal Services and double-click it
>>3. Set the Startup type to Automatic, and click Apply
>>4. Click the Start button to launch the service manually.
>>5. Now Task Manager User Name field will show up.
>>
>>--
>>Ramesh Srinivasan
>>MS-MVP, Windows Shell
>>
>>Windows XP Troubleshooting
>>http://www.winhelponline.com
>>
>>"Dan" <Dan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>When I open Task Manager and click the Users tab, there are no users
>>>displayed, but I can still see my name in the shutdown tab. How can I get
>>>my
>>>display back?

THERES ONE I CAN THINK OF

THAT IS:

CLICK START, RUN, TYPE APPWIZ.CPL, SELECT ADD/REMOVE WINDOWS COMPONENTS
ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE, SCROLL THROUGH THE LIST UNTIL YOU FIND TERMINAL
SERVICES, UNCHECK THE BOX BY THE SIDE, CLICK APPLY, OK AND RESTART
MACHINE IF PROMPTED.

ONCE PC HAS REBOOTED REPEAT THIS PROCESS ONCE MORE, ACCEPT THIS TIME
CHECK THE BOX, CLICK APPLY AND OK.

YOU WILL NOW BE PROMPTED FOR THE LOCATION OF A REQUIRED FILE TO
RE-INSTALL THE SERVICE.

INSERT THE XP INSTALLATION/RECOVERY CD AND CLICK OK.

WHEN THE RE-INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE, RETURN TO THE SERVICES MANAGER
(SERVICES.MSC), LOCATE TERMINAL SERVICES AND CHECK THAT THE STARTUP TYPE
IS SET TO: AUTOMATIC
THE SERVICE HAS BEEN STARTED

IF YOU HAVE MADE CHANGES
CLICK APPLY
AND OK

QUIT SERVICES MNGER

LOOK @ THE PROCESSES IN TASKMGR TO CHECK THE SERVICE IS LISTED WITH A
USER NAME BY THE SIDE.
From: Gordon on
"Robert Gething" <virusking1052733(a)aol.com> wrote in message
<snip shouting>
Don't post in caps - it makes your post difficult to read and is the Usenet
equivalent of SHOUTING.

Pages: 1
Prev: PDP RPC server by device guys
Next: User Accounts