From: Dave Unger on
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

> Only "load" your userform just ONCE and NEVER "unload" it!
> If someone tries to close your form, rather than unloading the
> form, just hide it instead. If someone tries to display your
> form again, simply unhide it!

My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

> As to what causes this problem, I am not entirely sure.
> Are you using modeless forms when it crashes??

Interesting - as a matter of fact, the last few days I have been using
a modeless form (as a progress indicator), and that's when I have
noticed an increase in the failures. I'll certainly peruse that quite
carefully. Also, I noticed that once I get the "Run Time Error 75"
message, and I click OK, and then do nothing, after a few minutes
Excel will display the dreaded "Excel has to close .." error message.

Thanks for your insight on this, Robert, I'll let you know how this
works out for me.

regards,

Dave
From: Robert Crandal on

> My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
> unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
> data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
> closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
> application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
> forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
> isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
userform. I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
the form as modeless. I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

So, now I'm positive that this error is not due to an error in my code
at all, but rather an Excel or operating system specific error!

Just be careful if you have a modeless form that can be loaded and unloaded
constantly. I'm guessing that the form gets lost in memory somewhere once
the unload happens....hence my solution to NEVER unload a form and
resort to hide and unhide tactics.

Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
matter. Thank you Dave!

Robert C.

From: Dave Unger on
Hi Robert,

> I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
> userform.  I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
> the form as modeless.  I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
> times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

Would you mind showing me exactly how you're doing this? I set this
up, and try as I might, could not get it to fail!

> Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
> matter.  Thank you Dave!

I certainly will.

regards,

Dave
From: Robert Crandal on
Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
and I will post it here ASAP.

However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
Error 75 any more. I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
and try to load it again.

Are you still seeing the error??

Hi Robert,

From: Dave Unger on
Hi Robert,

> Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
> and I will post it here ASAP.

Looking forward to it.

> However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
> just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
> Error 75 any more.   I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
> but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
> and try to load it again.
>
> Are you still seeing the error??

Yes, it's still happening, sporadically, but I can't seem to generate
it at will. I've also something else when I get that error. Let's
say I have forms A, B, C, D, E in the vba object list. Assume that I
get the error while trying to access form C. Now I find I can open
any form above that (A to B in this case), but nothing from C on down
(C to D). I'm getting out of my depth here, but it seems that the
form object list has somehow been severed at that point.

I'm hoping your example will allow me to re-create this anytime.

regards,

Dave