From: MickBurke on
I just did a new build of XP with service pack 3 slip streamed, or
rather, I just started using it, and have had a few occasions of users
that have the new build not being able to use USB flas drives. I've
seen a couple articles on how to prevent access to flash drives, but
nothing clearly noted what allows the drivers to normally be installed
for users rather than requiring admin permissions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to look for to make
sure users can use USB drives without it requesting admin
credentials?

Oddly, I believe one user got the same thing connecting a wirless
keyboard / mouse. This too, did not prompt previously...

Any input is much appreciated!
From: Harry on
On Nov 3, 9:45 am, MickBurke <mickburke...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I just did a new build of XP with service pack 3 slip streamed, or
> rather, I just started using it, and have had a few occasions of users
> that have the new build not being able to use USB flas drives. I've
> seen a couple articles on how to prevent access to flash drives, but
> nothing clearly noted what allows the drivers to normally be installed
> for users rather than requiring admin permissions.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction as what to look for to make
> sure users can use USB drives without it requesting admin
> credentials?
>
> Oddly, I believe one user got the same thing connecting a wirless
> keyboard  / mouse. This too, did not prompt previously...
>
> Any input is much appreciated!

Google "usb prompt admin password" and the first hit is

<http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/11/29/windows-requires-
administrator-rights-to-install-usb-flash-drives/>