From: REDUCT on
Charles, I ran Tcpview and TCP ports 2382 and 2383 are not open for AS. Port
2382 is open when I run sqlbrowser.
Reductrex

From: Charles Wang[MSFT] on
Hi Reductrex,
From my test, to start the SQL Server Analysis Service, the NETWORK SERVICE
account needs to be added to Administrators group since its default
previledge is not enough for starting AS service. Please try adding the
account to the local Administrators group and see if this issue persists.

But I have a question, why did you want to use NETWORK SERVICE account as
its startup account?
From this article, we can see that it is not recommended as a startup
account for SQL Server services:
Service Account

For installing SP1, yes, to prevent data losses, it is recommended to back
up your databases before install it.

Look forward to your response.

From: Dave Markle on
Charles:

That's an interesting article, but I'm perplexed as to why NETWORK
SERVICE isn't considered to be a good account to run SQL Server under --
the article gives no reasons. It seems to indicate that LOCAL SYSTEM is
more appropriate. That's sort of confusing as I would assume this to be
a violation of the Principle of Least Privilege.

Do you know of an article with some more details on this? I prefer not
to use domain accounts when possible -- I don't like having to maintain
a password for service accounts.

-Dave

--
-Dave Markle

http://www.markleconsulting.com/blog
From: Charles Wang[MSFT] on
Hi Dave,
Please refer to this article:
NetworkService Account

I think that is decided by your requirements. Per my understanding, in many
cases, SQL Server services need to access local or remote resources or
other remote SQL Server services. By default, NETWORK SERVICE account is
not allowed for these services or resources. You may need to do many
configurations to make it work. Local System account is a balance between
NETWORK SERVICE and Administrators account.

From: Dave Markle on
I'm going to move this discussion to the "Security" newsgroup...