From: REDUCT on
I'm having problem with running ADOMD with Analysis Services. An advise
who's wrong and how to fix it will be appreciated. The info below explains
further:

Information about Analysis Services configuration.

SQL Configuration Manager shows that Analysis Services, Server, Reporting
Services, FullText Search, Server Agent and Server Browser all are running
Log On As Local System. Integration Services are running as NT
AUTHORITY\Network Service. I tried to set Analysis Services as Network
Service, but got a message “The parameter is incorrect [0x80070057].”

All Network Confguration protocols are Enabled

SQl Native Client Configuration, Client Protocols are all Enabled

In Surface Area Configuration, Local and Remote Connections are selected in
Analysis Services Remote Connections.

In Surface Area Configuration for Features all components are Enable

This is a copy of Exception Detail

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException was unhandled
Message="A connection cannot be made. Ensure that the server is running."
Source="Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient"
StackTrace:
at
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.GetTcpClient(ConnectionInfo
connectionInfo)
at
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.OpenTcpConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
at
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo
connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)
at
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.ConnectXmla()
at
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean
createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
at BikeBuyerADOMD.Program.DoADOMDDemo1() in C:\WORK\SQL Data
Mining\BikeBuyerADOMD\BikeBuyerADOMD\Program.cs:line 21
at BikeBuyerADOMD.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\WORK\SQL Data
Mining\BikeBuyerADOMD\BikeBuyerADOMD\Program.cs:line 14
at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence
assemblySecurity, String[] args)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

--
Reductrex
From: Charles Wang[MSFT] on
Hi Reductrex,
To let me better understand your issue, could you please confirm with me
the following questions:
1. Did the error "The parameter is incorrect" occur before or after your
changing the Analysis service startup account?
2. Could you connect to your Analysis server from SQL Server 2005
Management Studio?
3. Could you connect to your Analysis server from another machine?
4. Had the TCP ports 2382 and 2383 been opened and listened by Analysis
service on your Analysis server?
You can use telnet command to check if they are opened and use
PortQry.exe to check if the ports are listenning.

You can download the tool PortQry from this link:
PortQry Command Line Port Scanner Version 2.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=89811747-C74B-4638-
A2D5-AC828BDC6983&displaylang=en

Also, I recommend that you use TCPView or TDIMon to monitor the connection
process.
Please download one of them from the following links:
TCPView for Windows v2.4
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/tcpview.mspx
TDIMon
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TdiMon.html

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely yours,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

from this issue.

From: REDUCT on
Hi Charles;

Thanks for your e-mail. The error occured after I have had AS set up and
developed some BI test projects. I can connect to AS from SQL Server
Management Studio or develop and run BI applications in AS. I use
development machine as Local and do not connect to AS from other machine.

RE: TCP ports I don't know and will try TCOView to monitor the connection
process. Thanks.

RE: PortQry, the site you gave: ....4638-.....=en is unavailable.
--
Reductrex

From: Charles Wang[MSFT] on
Hi Reductrex,
I just varify the link and it is no problem at my side. Please check if the
long url was fully copied to the address bar. You may need to concatenate
the two lines into one by two times copying.

From my research, this issue is most likely related to the NETWORK SERVICE
account. I would like to know the following questions for further research:
1. What is your Analysis Service startup account now?
Click Start, click Run..., enter services.msc, right click the SQL
Server Analysis Servies (...) and switch to the Log On tab.
2. Will it succeed if you explicitly add the NETWORK SERVICE account to
your Analysis Server?
Log on the Analysis Service by SQL Server Management Studio, right
click the server instance, click Properties, select Security, click Add...,
input NETWORK SERVICE, click Check Names and click OK.
3. Had SQL Server 2005 SP1 been installed on your computer?
If not, please install it first before further research.
4. Is your computer in a domain environment?
If not, it is not recommended that using NETWORK SERVICE in a workgroup
environment since trusted connections are hard to be established under this
situation.

Look forward to your response.

From: REDUCT on
Hi Charles;

RE: SQL AS account: Local System; Allow service to interact with desktop

RE: add NETWORK SERVICE: succeeded, no problem with adding, however, when
tried again to add NETWORK SERVICE in SQL Configuration Manager for AS Log
On, could not do it.

RE: SQL Server 2005 SP1: not installed, will look into, but first need to
backup all databases, configuration files, repository, etc., as per
installation instractons. Lot of work! Question: it is only if one want to
revert back to the previous version of the server or some backup will be
required to have developed packages and analysis projects work on the SP1
version.

RE: domain: yes, computer is in a domain environment.

Thank you Charles, will have to upgrade to SP1, but let me know if there are
some other options.

Reductrex
--
Reductrex