From: Dirk Goldgar on
"Dale" <Dale(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The code does not find any of the phrases in the callphrases table even
> though they exist. If I replace the strsql string with "[callphrase]='" &
> """called client""", the code works. Its only when I'm referencing the
> forms
> control does it not work or so it appears. Changing the memo type to text
> did
> not make a difference. The memo field is set to plain text. So I'm at a
> loss.

Add a line

Debug.Print strsql

..... just before the call to FindFirst, and report what that shows.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= <Dale(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?

Why are you walking through the records to do this? Why not present
a list of the records with the phrase and let the user click on each
in turn to pull up each record? Or just filter the form to display
only the matching records?

I implement lots of functionality to allow users to find records,
but have not once used walking a recordset as the way I implemented
it.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Dale on

"David W. Fenton" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= <Dale(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>
> > Can anyone enlighten me on why this won't work?
>
> Why are you walking through the records to do this? Why not present
> a list of the records with the phrase and let the user click on each
> in turn to pull up each record? Or just filter the form to display
> only the matching records?
>
> I implement lots of functionality to allow users to find records,
> but have not once used walking a recordset as the way I implemented
> it.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
> .
I'm using the NoMatch = False to trigger a msgbox to the user having them
confirm the action i.e. msgbox "pls confirm you have called the client."

To Dirk's question, when I debug the sqlstr every once in a while I get
this: [CallPhrase]='<div>called patient</div>' which explains why the strsql
failed, seems when I edit the memo field I get the <div> tags even though
field is set to plain text. This was only visible in the table and not the
form (I was mostly troubleshooting from the form). So this code does work,
but now my new problem, the code works only with exact matches, I was hoping
findfirst would find partial matches i.e. the call phrase = called patient
but if the from I'm searching against has "Once the investigation was
completed the patient was called", the match fails.

I'm thinking I need to find another way of doing this.

Thanks all
From: Dirk Goldgar on

> To Dirk's question, when I debug the sqlstr every once in a while I get
> this: [CallPhrase]='<div>called patient</div>' which explains why the
> strsql
> failed, seems when I edit the memo field I get the <div> tags even though
> field is set to plain text. This was only visible in the table and not
> the
> form (I was mostly troubleshooting from the form). So this code does work,
> but now my new problem, the code works only with exact matches, I was
> hoping
> findfirst would find partial matches i.e. the call phrase = called patient
> but if the from I'm searching against has "Once the investigation was
> completed the patient was called", the match fails.
>
> I'm thinking I need to find another way of doing this.

You can specify the Like operator in your FindFirst criteria string:

strsql = "[CallPhrase] Like '*" & _
[Forms]![frmConcernlog]![tblevents subform].[Form]![eInvestigation]
& _
"*'"

(though you'd need to remove the <div> and </div> tags).

However, that will still not find that second string you mentioned. So you
do need to think about it a bit more.

From: David W. Fenton on
"Dirk Goldgar" <dg(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in

> (though you'd need to remove the <div> and </div> tags).

Isn't there a function in there to return HTML memo fields as plain
text?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last