From: Joe on
Hey all,

I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.

Compiling the simple window example results in this:

simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error

I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.

I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
adainclude/gtkada2

I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
gnatmake: *** link failed.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there someway to put the
many .ali and .o files somewhere else.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Joe writes:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.
>
> Compiling the simple window example results in this:
>
> simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
> gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error

How did you set up your source files and how did you invoke gnatmake?

> I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.
>
> I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
> that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
> I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
> gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
> adainclude/gtkada2
>
> I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
> on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
> gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Also, is there someway to put the
> many .ali and .o files somewhere else.

Yes, read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian and
/usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr.

The problem with gtkada2-config is known as
http://bugs.debian.org/497407

--
Ludovic Brenta.
From: Joe on
On Sep 11, 4:39 pm, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...(a)ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> Joe writes:
> > Hey all,
>
> > I'm having some trouble getting GtkAda setup on my computer.
>
> > I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, gtkAda 2.12 and gnat 4.3.1.
>
> > Compiling the simple window example results in this:
>
> > simple.adb:1:06: file "gtk.ads" not found
> > gnatmake: "simple.adb" compilation error
>
> How did you set up your source files and how did you invoke gnatmake?
>

> > I have installed all the libgtkada's, and gnat-glade installed.
>
> > I think it has to do with the gtkada2-config script. I think the paths
> > that the script looks for are different than what I have. On my system
> > I don't have /usr/lib/gtkada or /usr/include/gtkada. The path for
> > gtkada seems to be /usr/lib/ada/adalib/gtkada2 and /usr/share/ada/
> > adainclude/gtkada2
>
> > I changed the libdir and includedir script variables to the locations
> > on my computer and compiling mostly worked until I got this:
>
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtkada
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc-4.3
> > gnatmake: *** link failed.
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there someway to put the
> > many .ali and .o files somewhere else.
>
> Yes, read /usr/share/doc/libgtkada2-dev/README.Debian and
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.gpr.
>
> The problem with gtkada2-config is known ashttp://bugs.debian.org/497407
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.

Awesome, got it to work. I set it up like so:

example.adb
example.gpr
gtkada2.gpr
obj

gnatmake -Pexample

Thanks a lot for the help.
From: Ludovic Brenta on
Joe writes:
> Awesome, got it to work. I set it up like so:
>
> example.adb
> example.gpr
> gtkada2.gpr
> obj
>
> gnatmake -Pexample

You should keep gtkada2.gpr where it belongs; no need to copy it into
your project. Gnatmake is patched to look for project files in
/usr/share/ada/adainclude by default on Debian.

> Thanks a lot for the help.

You're welcome.

--
Ludovic Brenta.