From: Nathan Sokalski on
I have an HP iPAQ 111 connected to my Windows XP Professional pc using USB
and ActiveSync 4.5. I am able to synchronize with no problem, but I cannot
use the Internet. When I connect to the same Internet using my home wireless
(which is the same one my Windows XP Professional machine uses, it just
isn't using wireless), I have this same problem (except I don't do
synchronization when using the wireless, because I'm not connecting to my
desktop). On my HP iPAQ 111, Internet Explorer just sits there with the
words "Connecting..." at the bottom of the screen. What is the problem here?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski(a)hotmail.com

From: Beverly Howard on
There have been a number of connect issues over the years and a
complicator is that they varied with ce os versions.

First, would remove activesync from the equation... you can't connect
through that.

If I understand, you have wifi from your cable modem?

Cable or DSL

If DSL, you need to set the wifi router up to log in to your account
rather than through your pc as there is no PPPOE client for WinMobile

I'd start by shutting your pc down and work to connect the ipaq directly
to your wifi router.

Some (very old) tips at http://bevhoward.com/NetWk.htm

Beverly Howard
From: Nathan Sokalski on
I probably gave inaccurate and possibly incomplete data in my original post.
I tried connecting to a public wifi connection (one that does not involve
anything other than my iPAQ), and it connected with no problem. However, the
exact same thing happened with Internet Explorer: It just sat there saying
"Connecting...". Any other ideas? Thanks.

From: Sven on
You should be able to connect with the iPaq through the USB cable using AS
as the conduit. It is called ActiveSync PassThrough. Most of the time it is
a matter of settings. Haven't used AS for a while (all Vista/Win7) but there
is a setting somewhere that might indicate it is involved. Look in the AS
setting to ensure there isn't some setting that indicates it shouldn't allow
access to the network. Also on the iPaq in Connections (Settings) look at
the proxy tab or option. My 211 has a checkbox for connecting to the
internet. Play with that, but don't add a proxy. There is probably an
advanced tab too, where you select what network to use when connecting to
the internet or connecting to a private network. Mine are set to MyISP for
internet and My Work Network for private network. Try playing with those if
that doesn't work. No need to create new ones.

If you aren't using a task switcher/closer of some sort find one. There are
free ones around, but SPB Pocket Plus includes a great one. This is only
because I would recommend closing IE between making setting changes and
retesting. I've had it not pick up new settings if I didn't. A task switcher
makes that a lot easier than diging down into the control panel.