From: Beverly Howard on
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/microsoft-windows-mobile/

Beverly Howard
From: Gary Mount on
It doesn't seem that it will be much longer before the x86 CPU invades the
territory of the current CPUs that run inside of these types of devices.
When that happens I think Microsoft will be well positioned to put a variant
of their desktop operating system on these new devices, and no longer will
you have to get separate apps for your mobile phone and your desktop.

From: Beverly Howard on
Here's another

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/19/microsoft.windows.mobile/index.html

imho, the iPhone has little or nothing to do with it.

Beverly Howard
From: Sven on
You don't think so? Remember when any PDA was a Palm. How about any
phone/PDA was a Blackberry. I would submit that today a smartphone in the
eyes of the average consumer is an iPhone. I have a drawer full of windows
powered converged handsets that were steadily drifting towards smaller size
and non-touch. All of a sudden this giant touch screen thing with almost no
buttons shows up, and that is the new standard. The Droid seems to be
capitalizing on this wave, but I don't think MS has yet figured out how.
They seem to hope HTC and others will do this for them. I think the iPhone
most certainly changed the face of 'advanced' phones. It is unfortunate that
it didn't really do it by real innovation, but rather by marketing, but hey,
they got the result. The Apple marketing machine never ceases to amaze me.
They were recently taken to task for slipping the release date for an item
they haven't even announced yet...their tablet. Amazing.

From: RickyP on
Well, Sven, you've hit the nail on the head, it is purely by marketing that
Apple have come this far.

In my opinion Windows mobile does have potential, however it need closer
ties with manufactures, to exploit the Windows Mobile OS.

HTC, has probably single handidly taken WM farther than any other
manufacturer, which I am pleased to say with stunning results. However,
size does not seem to be so important, when people walk around with big
bulges in their pockets, carrying around iPhones, which always puzzles me,
due to it's impracticality.

Regards