From: Beverly Howard on
>> You don't think so? <<

As you well know, I feel very strongly that the primary reason for
winmobile's troubles is grounded in apathy towards wimobile users, their
needs and problems.

I have both winmobile devices as well as an iTouch and the iTouch can't
touch 2003se's usability and functionality not to mention the huge range
of valuable apps that are not subject to approval by royal fiat before
they can be run on the platform.

Add to that the complete lockdown of the file system, zero user storage
without going through the associated copy of itunes and no storage card
options, and apple ends up with a target if ms were wiser.

Beverly Howard

From: RickyP on
Beverly,

Yet somehow Apple are still dominating, perhaps the rival to MS is not the
medium by which iphone is delivered (fancy UI and a myriad of downloadable
apps or even the handset itself) maybe it's the maketing machine of swanky
advertising and the illusion of "cool" that appears tobe more important than
functionality and maybe the "one" to watch out for is RIM?

Ricky

From: Sven on
Bingo. This is just what I was thinking reading Bevs post. Agree with all
you said Bev, but obviously none of what Apple did, had ever been done
before and MS is now just copying. Yea right. We both know there isn't
anything the iPhone does we couldn't do for years.

The fish, it never cackles 'bout
it's million eggs or so,
The hen is quite a different bird,
one egg-and hear her crow.

The fish we spurn, but crown the hen,
which leads me to surmise:
Don't hide your light, but blow your horn.
it pays to advertise.

From: "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" on
RIM will never be able to combat iPhone (not even WinMo) when it comes to
non-corporate / casual consumers.

OK, I'm not a corporate consumer either - but the sole reason I use my BB
8800 for e-mails its vast superiority to the iPhone 3G S and my WinMo
phones when it comes to battery life and keyboard when Push is enabled. I
only need to recharge it once (!) a week. With the iPhone 3G S with Push
enabled? That's a joke - about half a day? (And, unfortunately, WinMo
phones are only marginally better in this respect - abou ttwo days with
Push hacks applied.)

However, there simply isn't anything I can use it for, the two other
systems are so much more powerful and better. Most apps (e.g., Web
browsers, games, emulators, remote desktop control apps, media players) are
just orders of magnitude better than on RIM's devices. Consequently, I
don't think RIM could ever dominate the consumer market, which puts much
more emphasis on media / gaming than on "plain" mailing.