From: Gene Young on
Sjefferies wrote:
> I have been using Open Office, until I came across with
> http://ooanywhere.com ooanywhere.com . This is a great way to use Open
> Office I can run the applications with my web browser, I don't need to
> download and install it.

Nowhere on that link could I find how much it costs to use, AFTER the
free 15 minutes. Typically, any company that isn't up front about their
pricing should be approached very carefully. Personally, I wouldn't
type ANY of my personal data on someone else's computer or to a location
I couldn't control.

--
Gene Y.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 12/02/2009 04:43 AM, Gene Young wrote:
> Sjefferies wrote:
>> I have been using Open Office, until I came across with
>> http://ooanywhere.com ooanywhere.com . This is a great way to use Open
>> Office I can run the applications with my web browser, I don't need to
>> download and install it.
>
> Nowhere on that link could I find how much it costs to use, AFTER the
> free 15 minutes. Typically, any company that isn't up front about their
> pricing should be approached very carefully. Personally, I wouldn't
> type ANY of my personal data on someone else's computer or to a location
> I couldn't control.

Or with a hidden domain registration, not contact number etc:
$ whois ooanywhere.com
<snips>
Domain Name: OOANYWHERE.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: NS21.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS22.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Updated Date: 16-mar-2009
Creation Date: 16-mar-2009
Expiration Date: 16-mar-2010
<snips>
Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: OOANYWHERE.COM
Created on: 16-Mar-09
Expires on: 16-Mar-10
Last Updated on: 16-Mar-09
<snips>
Domain servers in listed order:
NS21.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS22.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

$ host ooanywhere.com
ooanywhere.com has address 64.202.189.170 <== Godaddy
ooanywhere.com mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
ooanywhere.com mail is handled by 30 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
ooanywhere.com mail is handled by 40 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
ooanywhere.com mail is handled by 50 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
ooanywhere.com mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Peter Junge on
Gene Young wrote:
> Sjefferies wrote:
>> I have been using Open Office, until I came across with
>> http://ooanywhere.com ooanywhere.com . This is a great way to use Open
>> Office I can run the applications with my web browser, I don't need to
>> download and install it.
>
> Nowhere on that link could I find how much it costs to use, AFTER the
> free 15 minutes. Typically, any company that isn't up front about their
> pricing should be approached very carefully. Personally, I wouldn't
> type ANY of my personal data on someone else's computer or to a location
> I couldn't control.

Well, the original posting seems to be marketing anyway. Besides not
revealing their price model, I also could find who they are and where
they are. I would call this site suspicious.

Best regards,
Peter

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: NoOp on
On 12/02/2009 05:47 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
> Gene Young wrote:
>> Sjefferies wrote:
>>> I have been using Open Office, until I came across with
>>> http://ooanywhere.com ooanywhere.com . This is a great way to use Open
>>> Office I can run the applications with my web browser, I don't need to
>>> download and install it.
>>
>> Nowhere on that link could I find how much it costs to use, AFTER the
>> free 15 minutes. Typically, any company that isn't up front about their
>> pricing should be approached very carefully. Personally, I wouldn't
>> type ANY of my personal data on someone else's computer or to a location
>> I couldn't control.
>
> Well, the original posting seems to be marketing anyway. Besides not
> revealing their price model, I also could find who they are and where
> they are. I would call this site suspicious.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter

Yes. Seems that "Sjefferies" is pretty enthusiastic about spreading the
ooanywhere.com word. One can only wonder if Sjefferies is tied to
ooanywhere.com, or is just a new user...
<http://www.google.com/search?q=Sjefferies+%2Booanywhere.com&complete=0&hl=en&filter=0>

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Andrew Jensen on
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM, NoOp <glgxg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 12/02/2009 05:47 PM, Peter Junge wrote:
> > Gene Young wrote:
> >>
> >> Nowhere on that link could I find how much it costs to use, AFTER the
> >> free 15 minutes. Typically, any company that isn't up front about their
> >> pricing should be approached very carefully. Personally, I wouldn't
> >> type ANY of my personal data on someone else's computer or to a location
> >> I couldn't control.
> >
> > Well, the original posting seems to be marketing anyway. Besides not
> > revealing their price model, I also could find who they are and where
> > they are. I would call this site suspicious.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Peter
>
> Yes. Seems that "Sjefferies" is pretty enthusiastic about spreading the
> ooanywhere.com word. One can only wonder if Sjefferies is tied to
> ooanywhere.com, or is just a new user...
> <
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Sjefferies+%2Booanywhere.com&complete=0&hl=en&filter=0

ok - that is all good and well, but someone had to give it a shot..and all
they wanted was an email address...

It was a mixed bag.

First - tried to run from FireFox 3 under Ubuntu 9.10 64bit...that didn't
work, the ooAnywhere server tried to install a package to the browser -
which failed to load. No real suprise there the 64bit part gets lots of
browser add-ons.

Second - tried FireFox using 32bit OpenSuse 11.1 - that prompted an error
message from ooAnywhere server that the configuration is not supported at
this time - it was a Java problem...yeah, yeah - OpenJDK isn't good
enough>????

Third - 32bit Windows 7 and Fire Fox 3.5...the ooAnywhere server installed
an add-on to the browser, no problem. Then launched the remote
session...actually much more responsive then I expected.

With only 15 minutes of time to play
- Tried a quick Writer file..just text, that worked.
- Tried to create a Base file....well, it did that - I could not actually
get the database to 'connect' from the remote session.
- After my time was up I copied the files created from the remote server to
the local machine...hey, real ODF files that work here.

No idea what these folks are going to need to charge, but my curiosity is
piqued.

Drew