From: Leon on
Here is a nice paper showing how XMOS devices can replace FPGAs in
many applications:

http://www.xmos.com/system/files/wp-xmos-fpga.pdf

Leon
From: rickman on
On May 26, 11:12 am, Leon <leon...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Here is a nice paper showing how XMOS devices can replace FPGAs in
> many applications:
>
> http://www.xmos.com/system/files/wp-xmos-fpga.pdf
>
> Leon

Interesting paper. I've looked at the XMOS parts before and never
been impressed, but that may have been because of no special need or I
just didn't spend much time at it. I have a design idea I am batting
around that the XMOS might be suitable for. Your paper doesn't say
much about program storage; I gather that other than the 8 kB OTP it
is off chip. You might want to include some links in your paper to
the web site. That would make it easier to get additional info.

Rick
From: Leon on
On 26 May, 17:23, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 26, 11:12 am, Leon <leon...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Here is a nice paper showing how XMOS devices can replace FPGAs in
> > many applications:
>
> >http://www.xmos.com/system/files/wp-xmos-fpga.pdf
>
> > Leon
>
> Interesting paper.  I've looked at the XMOS parts before and never
> been impressed, but that may have been because of no special need or I
> just didn't spend much time at it.  I have a design idea I am batting
> around that the XMOS might be suitable for.  Your paper doesn't say
> much about program storage; I gather that other than the 8 kB OTP it
> is off chip.  You might want to include some links in your paper to
> the web site.  That would make it easier to get additional info.
>
> Rick

It's not my paper! I just thought it might be of interest.

For programs larger than 8k, off-chip flash has to be used for program
storage.

The XMOS web site is here:

http://www.xmos.com/

Leon

Leon
From: rickman on
On May 26, 2:02 pm, Leon <leon...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 26 May, 17:23, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 26, 11:12 am, Leon <leon...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > > Here is a nice paper showing how XMOS devices can replace FPGAs in
> > > many applications:
>
> > >http://www.xmos.com/system/files/wp-xmos-fpga.pdf
>
> > > Leon
>
> > Interesting paper.  I've looked at the XMOS parts before and never
> > been impressed, but that may have been because of no special need or I
> > just didn't spend much time at it.  I have a design idea I am batting
> > around that the XMOS might be suitable for.  Your paper doesn't say
> > much about program storage; I gather that other than the 8 kB OTP it
> > is off chip.  You might want to include some links in your paper to
> > the web site.  That would make it easier to get additional info.
>
> > Rick
>
> It's not my paper! I just thought it might be of interest.
>
> For programs larger than 8k, off-chip flash has to be used for program
> storage.
>
> The XMOS web site is here:
>
> http://www.xmos.com/
>
> Leon
>
> Leon

Sorry, I figured you were an XMOS employee... jumped the gun on that
one.

Rick
From: rickman on
I took a harder look at the XMOS parts and the power consumption is
pretty high. I guess the per/MHz figure is no so bad, but at 160 mA
typ, it is no improvement over the FPGA on the board, in fact, it is
worse.

Rick