From: aquadoll on
Hello,
I am trying to use a Belkin F5D7230-4 router as an access point. I
have a D-Link DI-524 Wireless-G router as my main wireless router. I
want to connect the Belkin router wireless-ly to the D-Link router so
that the connection looks like this:

Cable Modem <--> DI-524 <--> Belkin F5D7230-4 -> Wired comps

So, basically, I want to connect a few wired devices to the Belkin
F5D7230-4 router.
The DI router has a MAC address filtering, and I have put in the WAN
MAC address of Belkin into it (I have also tried with WLAN/LAN MAC
address of the Belkin router). Next I have followed the directions in
this page:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386
Although the page talks about linking a D-Link to a LinkSys, I thought
they would be similar, but things are not working.

This is all what I have done:
1. I have put the WAN MAC address of Belkin into DI-524. I have also
assigned a static address of 192.168.0.190 to the Belkin MAC in
DI-524. The DI-524 is set up to distribute IPs from
192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 in DHCP.
The remaining are for Belkin:
2. In Belkin, I have matched the SSID, channel and security (actually
no security right now since I use MAC filtering) with those of DI-524.
3. Next I clicked on 'LAN Settings' and assigned 192.168.0.190 as the
IP Address, and 255.255.255.0 as the Subnet Mask. Also I set the DHCP
server as ON and set the IP pool from 192.168.0.200-250.
4. In 'Connection Type', I have left it to 'Dynamic'. (I played with
'Static' as well, with setting the same IP address, 192.168.0.190 as
the WAN and setting up 192.168.0.1 as the gateway - no use).
5. In 'DNS', I am using '192.168.0.1' as the DNS address.
6. In 'Channel and SSID', I have matched the channel and SSID. I have
left the 'Broadcast SSID' to OFF, Protedted Mode to 'OFF' and 802.11e
QoS to 'OFF'.
7. Disabled security.

That's pretty much it. In the Belkin router front page, it says, in
'Features':
NAT enabled, Firewall Settings Enabled, Security Disabled.

I am sure this configuration must have been done by somebody. I have
read quite a few success stories similar to this, but haven't this
this configuration. Can anyone help me out with what I am missing?

Thanks.
From: Bill Kearney on
> I am sure this configuration must have been done by somebody. I have
> read quite a few success stories similar to this, but haven't this
> this configuration. Can anyone help me out with what I am missing?

Replace the firmware with dd-wrt and use it in client mode.
From: aquadoll on
On Dec 13, 9:23 pm, "Bill Kearney" <wkearne...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am sure this configuration must have been done by somebody. I have
> > read quite a few success stories similar to this, but haven't this
> > this configuration. Can anyone help me out with what I am missing?
>
> Replace the firmware with dd-wrt and use it in client mode.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my Belkin router does not
seem to be covered here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
I have Belkin F5D7230-4, v6002, FCC ID: K7SF5D7230C.
Any suggestions?
From: John Navas on
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:14:24 -0800 (PST), aquadoll <samikr(a)gmail.com>
wrote in
<510aa884-1f01-4b34-9b6d-8bbc727119f5(a)s1g2000prg.googlegroups.com>:

>I am trying to use a Belkin F5D7230-4 router as an access point. I
>have a D-Link DI-524 Wireless-G router as my main wireless router. I
>want to connect the Belkin router wireless-ly to the D-Link router so
>that the connection looks like this:
>
>Cable Modem <--> DI-524 <--> Belkin F5D7230-4 -> Wired comps
>So, basically, I want to connect a few wired devices to the Belkin
>F5D7230-4 router.

You can only do that with a wireless Ethernet client bridge -- a
wireless access point or router cannot connect as a client to another
wireless router.

>The DI router has a MAC address filtering, and I have put in the WAN
>MAC address of Belkin into it (I have also tried with WLAN/LAN MAC
>address of the Belkin router).

MAC address filtering is pointless and can be problematic -- suggest you
turn it off entirely.

>Next I have followed the directions in
>this page:
>http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=1513386
>Although the page talks about linking a D-Link to a LinkSys, I thought
>they would be similar, but things are not working.

That uses 3rd party software to turn a wireless access point or router
into a wireless Ethernet client bridge.

>This is all what I have done:
>1. I have put the WAN MAC address of Belkin into DI-524. I have also
>assigned a static address of 192.168.0.190 to the Belkin MAC in
>DI-524. The DI-524 is set up to distribute IPs from
>192.168.0.100-192.168.0.199 in DHCP.
>The remaining are for Belkin:
>2. In Belkin, I have matched the SSID, channel and security (actually
>no security right now since I use MAC filtering) with those of DI-524.
>3. Next I clicked on 'LAN Settings' and assigned 192.168.0.190 as the
>IP Address, and 255.255.255.0 as the Subnet Mask. Also I set the DHCP
>server as ON and set the IP pool from 192.168.0.200-250.
>4. In 'Connection Type', I have left it to 'Dynamic'. (I played with
>'Static' as well, with setting the same IP address, 192.168.0.190 as
>the WAN and setting up 192.168.0.1 as the gateway - no use).
>5. In 'DNS', I am using '192.168.0.1' as the DNS address.
>6. In 'Channel and SSID', I have matched the channel and SSID. I have
>left the 'Broadcast SSID' to OFF, Protedted Mode to 'OFF' and 802.11e
>QoS to 'OFF'.
>7. Disabled security.
>
>That's pretty much it. In the Belkin router front page, it says, in
>'Features':
>NAT enabled, Firewall Settings Enabled, Security Disabled.

None of this will help to accomplish your objective.

>I am sure this configuration must have been done by somebody. I have
>read quite a few success stories similar to this, but haven't this
>this configuration. Can anyone help me out with what I am missing?

You need a wireless Ethernet client bridge. See the wiki below.
--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Bill Kearney on
Well that sucks. It's really irritating when the vendors keep selling an
entirely different unit using the same model number.