From: James Hendry on
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would can help,

I have a Linksys WAG354G v2... setup this has been running fine, for
over a year now, however I recently had to do some work from home and
vpn'd into my company's network. The problem is that I can reach the VPN
server, but cannot do anything else such as network file system or run
RDP sessions.
I am sure the problem lies with my linksys gateway as I can take the
same laptop to a hotel connection and connect to all of the company
resources and RDP applications.
My ISP tells me that there are no blocked ports, hence the focus on the
WAG354G.

I have enabled in the gateway, ipsec, etc... can anyone shed any light
on what I may have missed ??

all of these are enabled...

IPSec Passthrough:
PPPoE Passthrough:
PPTP Passthrough:
L2TP Passthrough:

Firmware 1.01.58

Many Thanks, Jim
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:26:45 +0000, James Hendry <jthendry(a)uklinux.net>
wrote in <gi6lj5$11ku$1(a)energise.enta.net>:

>Hi, I was wondering if anyone would can help,
>
>I have a Linksys WAG354G v2... setup this has been running fine, for
>over a year now, however I recently had to do some work from home and
>vpn'd into my company's network. The problem is that I can reach the VPN
>server, but cannot do anything else such as network file system or run
>RDP sessions.
> I am sure the problem lies with my linksys gateway as I can take the
>same laptop to a hotel connection and connect to all of the company
>resources and RDP applications.
>My ISP tells me that there are no blocked ports, hence the focus on the
>WAG354G.
>
>I have enabled in the gateway, ipsec, etc... can anyone shed any light
>on what I may have missed ??
>
>all of these are enabled...
>
> IPSec Passthrough:
> PPPoE Passthrough:
> PPTP Passthrough:
> L2TP Passthrough:
>
>Firmware 1.01.58

What kind of VPN? Will it work if you remove the Linksys WAG354G v2?
(Bonus points for posting model and firmware version.)
--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John Navas FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: James Hendry on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:26:45 +0000, James Hendry <jthendry(a)uklinux.net>
> wrote in <gi6lj5$11ku$1(a)energise.enta.net>:
>
>> Hi, I was wondering if anyone would can help,
>>
>> I have a Linksys WAG354G v2... setup this has been running fine, for
>> over a year now, however I recently had to do some work from home and
>> vpn'd into my company's network. The problem is that I can reach the VPN
>> server, but cannot do anything else such as network file system or run
>> RDP sessions.
>> I am sure the problem lies with my linksys gateway as I can take the
>> same laptop to a hotel connection and connect to all of the company
>> resources and RDP applications.
>> My ISP tells me that there are no blocked ports, hence the focus on the
>> WAG354G.
>>
>> I have enabled in the gateway, ipsec, etc... can anyone shed any light
>> on what I may have missed ??
>>
>> all of these are enabled...
>>
>> IPSec Passthrough:
>> PPPoE Passthrough:
>> PPTP Passthrough:
>> L2TP Passthrough:
>>
>> Firmware 1.01.58
>
> What kind of VPN? Will it work if you remove the Linksys WAG354G v2?
> (Bonus points for posting model and firmware version.)

Hi John,
The gateway is the only method I have of connecting to the net so
unable to remove it, i.e. modem built in.

The utility provided to me is a Cisco Systems VPN client software Ver
4.8.01.0300

The company Host IP address is entered and the transport is IPSec/UDP

transparent tunneling, IPSec over UDP(NAT/PAT)

I just launch the client select the connection and connect... if from
anywhere else other than my home it connects ok....

Jim

From: John Navas on
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:53:40 +0000, James Hendry <jthendry(a)uklinux.net>
wrote in <gi6n5l$147v$1(a)energise.enta.net>:

>John Navas wrote:

>> What kind of VPN? Will it work if you remove the Linksys WAG354G v2?
>> (Bonus points for posting model and firmware version.)
>
> The gateway is the only method I have of connecting to the net so
>unable to remove it, i.e. modem built in.

Rats. One of the reasons for preferring separate units over integrated
units.

>The utility provided to me is a Cisco Systems VPN client software Ver
>4.8.01.0300
>
>The company Host IP address is entered and the transport is IPSec/UDP
>transparent tunneling, IPSec over UDP(NAT/PAT)

That should work through the Linksys.

>I just launch the client select the connection and connect... if from
>anywhere else other than my home it connects ok....

What does that you can "reach the VPN server" mean? Ping it? Connect
but not see the remote network? Can the company see your connection
from home?
From: James Hendry on
John Navas wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:53:40 +0000, James Hendry <jthendry(a)uklinux.net>
> wrote in <gi6n5l$147v$1(a)energise.enta.net>:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>
>>> What kind of VPN? Will it work if you remove the Linksys WAG354G v2?
>>> (Bonus points for posting model and firmware version.)
>> The gateway is the only method I have of connecting to the net so
>> unable to remove it, i.e. modem built in.
>
> Rats. One of the reasons for preferring separate units over integrated
> units.
>
>> The utility provided to me is a Cisco Systems VPN client software Ver
>> 4.8.01.0300
>>
>> The company Host IP address is entered and the transport is IPSec/UDP
>> transparent tunneling, IPSec over UDP(NAT/PAT)
>
> That should work through the Linksys.
>
>> I just launch the client select the connection and connect... if from
>> anywhere else other than my home it connects ok....
>
> What does that you can "reach the VPN server" mean? Ping it? Connect
> but not see the remote network? Can the company see your connection
> from home?

Hi, yes, it means that the Cisco Client tells me that a connection has
been made.
I can ping the host, avg 70ms, nothing reachable on the remote network
after connecting.