From: jh on
I am a small time Tcl/Tk user and I have downloaded tcl_SNMP_Tools
from http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-snmptools/. The README file
says to build under Windows use the MSys + MinGW build process. I have
installed MinGW and MSys but I am not familiar with this build process
or how to apply it the extracted TEA package. I have found some
documentation (Welch, et al) on constructing TEA packages but little
for dumb newbies on how use one. With the MSys + MinGW build process
thrown in I feel like I have two simultaneous equations with 2+
unknowns.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Grasping at straws,

jh
From: Jeff Hobbs on
On Sep 17, 11:26 am, jh <jvh75...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a small time Tcl/Tk user and I have downloaded tcl_SNMP_Tools
> fromhttp://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl-snmptools/. The README file
> says to build under Windows use the MSys + MinGW build process. I have
> installed MinGW and MSys but I am not familiar with this build process
> or how to apply it the extracted TEA package. I have found some
> documentation (Welch, et al) on constructing TEA packages but little
> for dumb newbies on how use one. With the MSys + MinGW build process
> thrown in I feel like I have two simultaneous equations with 2+
> unknowns.

There should be no "build process" for msys+mingw, those are merely
binaries that provide you a free full build/compile environment on
Windows. Note that Microsoft also provides a free compiler chain
nowadays as well (Visual Studio Express), but you would still need
msys for 'sh' (bash).

After having the compiler environment installed, you ensure that it is
on the path and then use TEA with the documented '/path/to/configure --
options ...'; 'make' process.

Jeff
From: Larry W. Virden on
On Sep 17, 2:26 pm, jh <jvh75...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have found some
> documentation (Welch, et al) on constructing TEA packages but little
> for dumb newbies on how use one. With the MSys + MinGW build process
> thrown in I feel like I have two simultaneous equations with 2+
> unknowns.

The steps are, basically,
1. Install MSys and MinGW build commands.
2. Read README and INSTALL type files to understand what needs to
happen
3. Run the package's configure command to create a Makefile.
4. Run "make all" to create libraries and executables.
5. Run "make test" to run test suite (if package has one).
6. Run "make install" to install code.

From: jh on
On Sep 18, 5:06 am, "Larry W. Virden" <lvir...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2:26 pm, jh <jvh75...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  I have found some
> > documentation (Welch, et al) on constructing TEA packages but little
> > for dumb newbies on how use one. With the MSys + MinGW build process
> > thrown in I feel like I have two simultaneous equations with 2+
> > unknowns.
>
> The steps are, basically,
> 1. Install MSys and MinGW build commands.
> 2. Read README and INSTALL type files to understand what needs to
> happen
> 3. Run the package's configure command to create a Makefile.

Package has no configure script but does have configure.in. Do I need
to install and run autoconf. I hope not, its documentation says it
requires m4 and perl, which will require ..., which will require....

Also within the package's tclconfig directory there is a file named
install-sh. Is this found and used by "make install"?

The top level extracted directory, tcl_snmp_tools, only contained 1
directory: tcl-snmptool-1.0. I put this in C:/tcl/bin. Would that be
the correct location?

thanks again,.
jh
From: Larry W. Virden on
On Sep 18, 8:42 am, jh <jvh75...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Package has no configure script but does have configure.in. Do I need
> to install and run autoconf. I hope not, its documentation says it
> requires m4 and perl, which will require ..., which will require....

Yes, if you can't find a release of the software, with the configure
already generated, then you have to go down the rabbit hole of finding
all the pieces.

> Also within the package's tclconfig directory there is a file named
> install-sh. Is this found and used by "make install"?

Well, it is found and used by make install on Linux and similar
operating systems. I've not built code and installed it on Windows
yet, so someone else will have to answer that question.

> The top level extracted directory, tcl_snmp_tools, only contained 1
> directory: tcl-snmptool-1.0. I put this in C:/tcl/bin. Would that be
> the correct location?

What _I_ would do would be to have things layed out sort of like this:

tcl\
sources\
tcl\
tk\