From: Fokke Nauta on
<richard(a)tortoise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:18:17 +0100, "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
>>needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
>>could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
>>different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more
>>way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell the frame
>>which page to load in one of the frames when the link is clicked.
>>I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
>>this?
>
> Hi Fokke,
>
> I'm just learning a bit of javascript myself. The book I have gives an
> example of what I think you want.
>
> Have a look here:
>
> http://www.javascriptworld.com/
>
> and look at the Book Resources. The scripts are downloadable. In
> particular, take a look at Chapter 5: Setting a target.
>
> http://www.javascriptworld.com/chap05/frameset4.html

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your response.
A very nice site you mentioned. Very interesting, I will look further into
that.
But it's not about setting a target. I have specified the target frame, but
want to specify which page to load.

Best regards,
Fokke

From: Fokke Nauta on

"rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message

> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message
>> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message

>>> Not a javascript problem. Look into the target attribute?
>>>
>>> Also, google for "frames are evil"
>>
>> It's not a problem, it's a question.
>
> Problem/question. Whatever.
>
>> And I would prefer this point with I-frames, as I use I-frames on this
>> site.
>
> And this is the very first time you have mentioned iframes (note the lack
> of a - in the elements name).

Basically it dosn't make a difference.

>> I have simplified this question with the use of frames.
>
> No you have not simplifed the question. You have turned the question into
> a different one. Not that it matters in this instance.
>
>> And please re-read my query.
>
> For an answer to your original question and also to your new question
> please re-read my reply.
>
> I'll even expand on it.
>
> The target attribute of the a element is used to specify which frame (or
> iframe) the paged mentioned in the href attribute is loaded.

Yes, but to specify which frame a page is loaded is not the question at all.
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I am not talking about frames, but
about to specify which page is loaded in a certain frame. I have specified
the frame in which I want to load a page. The point is, that I want to
specify which page is loading into that frame.

> You don't need any javascript. It's all done with straight vanilla HTML
> and is one of the very fundamental things that frames (and iframes) were
> designed for. Have a look at the HTML manual for any further information.

You definitely need javascrip for this.

From: rf on

> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message
>>

> Yes, but to specify which frame a page is loaded is not the question at
> all.
> Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I am not talking about frames, but
> about to specify which page is loaded in a certain frame. I have specified
> the frame in which I want to load a page. The point is, that I want to
> specify which page is loading into that frame.

Perhaps you didn't. I had to read the original question a number of times
before I noticed what you are really asking. Let me rephrase it:

You have a page with ten links on *to another page* and that other page has
an iframe on it. You want each of the links to cause a different page to be
loaded into that iframe on that other page. Correct?

Well, that is one of the evils of frames and iframes. You cannot link to
them.

> You definitely need javascrip for this.

Not if you do not use iframes in the first place. And not if you do your
processing server side, where this sort of stuff should be done.

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <7nkvnbF3m6kr5U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 17:48:41, Fokke Nauta <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> posted:

>It's not a problem, it's a question.
>And I would prefer this point with I-frames, as I use I-frames on this site.
>I have simplified this question with the use of frames.
>And please re-read my query.

Page <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/linxchek.htm>, as a local copy
with its include files, will load an iframe with HTML or TXT files at a
great rate, especially in Chrome. Search its source for 'ReadWebPage',
and read nearby, to see how; and search also for 'Fram'.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk IE7 FF3 Op9 Sf3
From: Fokke Nauta on

> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message
>>>

>> Yes, but to specify which frame a page is loaded is not the question at
>> all.
>> Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I am not talking about frames, but
>> about to specify which page is loaded in a certain frame. I have
>> specified the frame in which I want to load a page. The point is, that I
>> want to specify which page is loading into that frame.
>
> Perhaps you didn't. I had to read the original question a number of times
> before I noticed what you are really asking.

Sorry! I aploogize for that.
Perhaps a language problem?

Let me rephrase it:

> You have a page with ten links on *to another page* and that other page
> has an iframe on it. You want each of the links to cause a different page
> to be loaded into that iframe on that other page. Correct?

Yes, correct.

> Well, that is one of the evils of frames and iframes. You cannot link to
> them.
>
>> You definitely need javascrip for this.
>
> Not if you do not use iframes in the first place. And not if you do your
> processing server side, where this sort of stuff should be done.

I still have a javascript which did this for a frameset. Somehow if you link
to this frameset like frameset.htm?first, it would load the frameset with
the page first.htm in one of the frames. I tried to convert this script to
use it with my current situation, bit it did not work.

I have a hobby-site, I'm not a professional. I am not familiar with
server-side scripting.

Rgs,
Fokke