From: Fokke Nauta on
Hi all,

I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more advanced
way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell the frame
which page to load in one of the frames when the link is clicked.
I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
this?
Many thanks in advance.

With kind regards,
Fokke Nauta

From: rf on

"Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
> needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
> could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
> different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more
> advanced way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell
> the frame which page to load in one of the frames when the link is
> clicked.
> I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
> this?

Not a javascript problem. Look into the target attribute?

Also, google for "frames are evil"

From: Fokke Nauta on
"rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message

> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
>> needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
>> could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
>> different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more
>> advanced way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell
>> the frame which page to load in one of the frames when the link is
>> clicked.
>> I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
>> this?
>
> Not a javascript problem. Look into the target attribute?
>
> Also, google for "frames are evil"

It's not a problem, it's a question.
And I would prefer this point with I-frames, as I use I-frames on this site.
I have simplified this question with the use of frames.
And please re-read my query.

Rgs,
Fokke Nauta

From: richard on
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:18:17 +0100, "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl>
wrote:

>I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
>needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
>could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
>different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more advanced
>way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell the frame
>which page to load in one of the frames when the link is clicked.
>I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
>this?

Hi Fokke,

I'm just learning a bit of javascript myself. The book I have gives an
example of what I think you want.

Have a look here:

http://www.javascriptworld.com/

and look at the Book Resources. The scripts are downloadable. In
particular, take a look at Chapter 5: Setting a target.

http://www.javascriptworld.com/chap05/frameset4.html

Richard

From: rf on

> "rf" <rf(a)z.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fokke Nauta" <fnautaNO(a)SPAMiae.nl> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a menu wich has 10 links, all to the same frameset but each link
>>> needs to load the frameset with a different page in one of the frames. I
>>> could achieve this with creating 10 separate framesets, each loading a
>>> different page in one of the frames. I think there should be a more
>>> advanced way, with using only one frameset but using javascript to tell
>>> the frame which page to load in one of the frames when the link is
>>> clicked.
>>> I can't write this script. Is there anyone out here who can help me with
>>> this?
>>
>> Not a javascript problem. Look into the target attribute?
>>
>> Also, google for "frames are evil"
>
> It's not a problem, it's a question.

Problem/question. Whatever.

> And I would prefer this point with I-frames, as I use I-frames on this
> site.

And this is the very first time you have mentioned iframes (note the lack of
a - in the elements name).

> I have simplified this question with the use of frames.

No you have not simplifed the question. You have turned the question into a
different one. Not that it matters in this instance.

> And please re-read my query.

For an answer to your original question and also to your new question please
re-read my reply.

I'll even expand on it.

The target attribute of the a element is used to specify which frame (or
iframe) the paged mentioned in the href attribute is loaded.

You don't need any javascript. It's all done with straight vanilla HTML and
is one of the very fundamental things that frames (and iframes) were
designed for. Have a look at the HTML manual for any further information.