From: Philip Herlihy on
Douglas J. Steele wrote:
> You don't actually need Access at all in order to have a back-end database
> on a separate machine.
>
> You'll obviously need at least one copy of Access in order to be able to
> design and build the application, but that's it (and that copy does not have
> to be present in the office where the database is being used)

Thanks Douglas!

Phil
From: Philip Herlihy on
NG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> you can ship the app with the runtime version, but take care that you design
> a window that allows to handle the links because the regular Access menu's
> and ribbons are not available in the runtime version. You can try it out on
> your machine by creating a shortcut on your desktop and add the option
> /runtime in the target line. This forces the app to open with the runtime
> version. More info you can find on

Thanks Noella! Obviously I need to look into this carefully - thanks
for the link. Before I've studied it I'm wondering if it will be
sufficient to hard-code the front-end to look for a specific share on
the "server"? I'm also wondering if the runtime is needed at all on the
server - I can envisage alternative architectures where interaction to
the back-end file is mediated by an Access process, or where all the
front-end needs is access to the containing folder, doing file
operations (like creating the .ldb file) itself. Now I need to find a
machine without Access installed to test it out!

Best wishes,

Phil
From: Philip Herlihy on
Philip Herlihy wrote:
> NG wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> you can ship the app with the runtime version, but take care that you
>> design a window that allows to handle the links because the regular
>> Access menu's and ribbons are not available in the runtime version.
>> You can try it out on your machine by creating a shortcut on your
>> desktop and add the option /runtime in the target line. This forces
>> the app to open with the runtime version. More info you can find on
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb501030.aspx
>>

> Thanks Noella! Obviously I need to look into this carefully - thanks
> for the link. Before I've studied it I'm wondering if it will be
> sufficient to hard-code the front-end to look for a specific share on
> the "server"? I'm also wondering if the runtime is needed at all on the
> server - I can envisage alternative architectures where interaction to
> the back-end file is mediated by an Access process, or where all the
> front-end needs is access to the containing folder, doing file
> operations (like creating the .ldb file) itself. Now I need to find a
> machine without Access installed to test it out!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Phil

Just to report the test result - I found a machine without any version
of Access installed. Copied a database and split it. Moved the
back-end to a share on the test machine, and re-linked. Worked
perfectly. This shows that there is no need for any sort of Access
runtime on a back-end machine. I guess it needn't even be a Windows
machine, if sharing is appropriately set up (e.g. Samba).

Phil