From: Bill Klein on
I know that I was "gone" for several months, but this is my usual request
that posters try to remember to CHANGE the subject line when they start (or
continue) a "thread drift". ESPECIALLY, when it goes from "on-topic" (e.g.
COBOL routine to get file information) to OFF-topic (e.g. racism,
psychology, etc)

Some of us "care" more about "on-topic" threads. This doesn't mean that we
can "stop" off-topic threads, but it really helps when they are clear from
the subject line.

P.S. You can judge for yourself whether this note is on or off-tpic. (cf
"this page intenionally left blank")

From: Kerry Liles on
"Bill Klein" <wmklein(a)noreply.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>I know that I was "gone" for several months, but this is my usual request
>that posters try to remember to CHANGE the subject line when they start (or
>continue) a "thread drift". ESPECIALLY, when it goes from "on-topic" (e.g.
>COBOL routine to get file information) to OFF-topic (e.g. racism,
>psychology, etc)
>
> Some of us "care" more about "on-topic" threads. This doesn't mean that we
> can "stop" off-topic threads, but it really helps when they are clear from
> the subject line.
>
> P.S. You can judge for yourself whether this note is on or off-tpic. (cf
> "this page intenionally left blank")

Hear, hear! I concur. Sadly, many (most?) threads seem to rapidly drift OT

Note: update to the usual "this page intentionally left blank"
.... the revised version:
"the rest of this page intentionally left blank"