From: The Magnet on

We've recently put in a profile to disconnect sessions after 2 hours
of inactivity. We also put into out SQLNET.ORA: SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
30

I read the URL below and it says OS processes are not cleaned up. Is
this true, and if yes, what sense does it make to kill the Oracle
process when resources at the OS level are still being used.

http://www.sap-img.com/oracle-database/what-does-sniped-status-in-v-session-mean.htm
From: joel garry on
On Jul 30, 11:07 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> We've recently put in a profile to disconnect sessions after 2 hours
> of inactivity.  We also put into out SQLNET.ORA:  SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
> 30
>
> I read the URL below and it says OS processes are not cleaned up.  Is
> this true, and if yes, what sense does it make to kill the Oracle
> process when resources at the OS level are still being used.
>
> http://www.sap-img.com/oracle-database/what-does-sniped-status-in-v-s...

That link seems to be saying it will be cleaned up if you use
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME, not cleaned up if you don't use it.

Bug 6857474 on MOS (for jdbc) and other notes suggest this may vary
depending on a lot of things, so try it and see if it works for you.

It often helps to specify exact Oracle and OS versions, and other
relevant info like shared server and type of client. So often, in
fact, that you should specify those things every time whether it seems
relevant or not. We don't use OCM here.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://web.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/23/former-ucsf-employee-pleads-guilty-to-online-scam/
From: The Magnet on
On Jul 30, 1:35 pm, joel garry <joel-ga...(a)home.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 11:07 am, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
>
> > We've recently put in a profile to disconnect sessions after 2 hours
> > of inactivity.  We also put into out SQLNET.ORA:  SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME =
> > 30
>
> > I read the URL below and it says OS processes are not cleaned up.  Is
> > this true, and if yes, what sense does it make to kill the Oracle
> > process when resources at the OS level are still being used.
>
> >http://www.sap-img.com/oracle-database/what-does-sniped-status-in-v-s...
>
> That link seems to be saying it will be cleaned up if you use
> SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME, not cleaned up if you don't use it.
>
> Bug 6857474 on MOS (for jdbc) and other notes suggest this may vary
> depending on a lot of things, so try it and see if it works for you.
>
> It often helps to specify exact Oracle and OS versions, and other
> relevant info like shared server and type of client.  So often, in
> fact, that you should specify those things every time whether it seems
> relevant or not.  We don't use OCM here.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.http://web.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/23/former-ucsf-employee-p...

Right, my bad. Oracle 10gR2. CentOS, not sure of the version.