From: Jeff Johnson on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message

>> So they're not turned off as you said. Perhaps in anticipation of?
>
> It was written long ago. In the interim, the vast majority of groups have
> been removed from there server. The remaining ones have all been given a
> death sentence. So, yeah, they are "dead men walking" at this point.
> It's pretty much a meaningless distinction. How bored are you, anyway?

Dude, your message explicitly said the servers were turned off. It was
incorrect, plain and simple. No amount of "You know what I mean" alters that
fact that your statement was incorrect.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jeff Johnson explained on 7/22/2010 :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>> So they're not turned off as you said. Perhaps in anticipation of?
>>
>> It was written long ago. In the interim, the vast majority of groups have
>> been removed from there server. The remaining ones have all been given a
>> death sentence. So, yeah, they are "dead men walking" at this point. It's
>> pretty much a meaningless distinction. How bored are you, anyway?
>
> Dude, your message explicitly said the servers were turned off. It was
> incorrect, plain and simple. No amount of "You know what I mean" alters that
> fact that your statement was incorrect.

Okay, okay, I just looked at the web page. You're right, what's posted
says that. Here's what I submitted, fwiw...

==================
HED: Community Disruption

DEK: Microsoft turns off its newsgroup server, but the community
resource lives on. You just need to know where to look for it.

by Karl E. Peterson

In early May, Microsoft began posting a series of notices to their
newsgroups that they ... <snip>
==================

The editors changed the tense. And I admit, it was sloppy. It
probably should've had "As" as the first word and no "but" in that
sentence to fully capture the mental image I had of that thought as it
was typed.

Screw it. I'll ask them to change it to capture "what I meant" a bit
better. Thanks...

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jeff Johnson explained :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>> So they're not turned off as you said. Perhaps in anticipation of?
>>
>> It was written long ago. In the interim, the vast majority of groups have
>> been removed from there server. The remaining ones have all been given a
>> death sentence. So, yeah, they are "dead men walking" at this point. It's
>> pretty much a meaningless distinction. How bored are you, anyway?
>
> Dude, your message explicitly said the servers were turned off. It was
> incorrect, plain and simple. No amount of "You know what I mean" alters that
> fact that your statement was incorrect.

Updated online.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> ==================
> HED: Community Disruption
>
> DEK: Microsoft turns off its newsgroup server, but the community
> resource lives on. You just need to know where to look for it.

... Why imply they only had one server handling their entire hierarchy?

<gd&r>
LFS

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Larry Serflaten wrote :
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote
>
>> ==================
>> HED: Community Disruption
>>
>> DEK: Microsoft turns off its newsgroup server, but the community
>> resource lives on. You just need to know where to look for it.
>
> .. Why imply they only had one server handling their entire hierarchy?
>
> <gd&r>
> LFS

LOL! Bite me. <g>

--