From: Steve Ricketts on
I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm
trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service
calls shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being
called when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the
program as an application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in
2008 needs to be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be.

sr

From: Leo on
Steve Ricketts brought next idea :
> I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm
> trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service calls
> shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being called
> when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the program as an
> application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in 2008 needs to
> be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be.
>
> sr

I would say it is most likely the isolation of Sesion 0.

From: Paul Clement on
On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 12:13:55 -0400, "Steve Ricketts" <velocedge(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

� I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm
� trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service
� calls shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being
� called when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the
� program as an application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in
� 2008 needs to be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be.

� sr

I would check the system Event Log to see if there are any security related
messages. Also, not exactly sure what the application is doing or whether it's
supposed to interact with the desktop, but Microsoft did isolate the user
interactive session from the services after 2003 as Leo mentioned. If the app is
launching you can probably still see the process in the Task Manager.

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Pages: 1