From: Galen Somerville on

"Alfie [UK]" <alfie(a)mail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:15:24 -0800, "Galen Somerville"
> <galen(a)surewest.net> wrote:
>
> >Just curious. Why is the dx8 SDK required. I use dx8vb in my programs and don't have the SDK
>
> Strictly speaking the whole SDK isn't required, to use DX calls from
> within VB6 you only need the dx8vb.dll (type library) registered on your
> system (usually in c:\windows\system32\dx8vb.dll) then for any VB
> project using DX you should add a reference that
> (Project->References->DirectX 8 For Visual Basic Type Library).
>
> The SDK does though include VB samples and tutorials, the full DX
> documentation, it interfaces it's help with VB6 so it can recognise you
> pressing F1 on a DX method in the IDE, and it includes extra tools.
>
> It's not strictly legal to distribute the dll, samples, or help file
> independantly of the SDK so I prefer to point people to find the SDK
> rather than post the 'required' bits somewhere.
> --
> Alfie [UK]
> <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
> History is written by the winners and is only Rewritten by the Conquerors.

Thanks. I'll install the SDK for help and the extras.

Galen

From: Lorin on

"Alfie [UK]" wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:40:01 -0800, Lorin
> <Lorin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Loaded latest DirectX.
> >Trying to run sample VB code DMDrums and get error message:
> > Cannot initiaialize DirectMusic
> >Suggestions please.
>
> VB6 can only develop with DirectX versions up to DX8.1b.
>
> MS decided not to include VB6 type libraries for DX9 and up, you have to
> use VB.NET/VB2005 and DX9 managed code instead (in which case why not
> just switch to C++). If you develop using VB6/DX8 it still works
> properly on a PC with DX9 just you can't use any of the DX9 features.
>
> If you want to continue with VB6 and DirectX you'll need the DX8.1 SDK
> which is not easy to find nowadays although this seems valid;
> www(dot)electromanuk(dot)com(slash)directx(slash)dx8sdk.zip (165Mb)
> [munged to stop news leechers hitting it and causing bandwidth load].
> --
> Alfie [UK]
> <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
> I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault. I have no faults.

Running and stuck to VB6SP6+ (just because at 64 I do not want to learn a
new language. I have enough educational experiences with VB6. I love it and
all that I can do with it.)
Thanks. I will try this version DX8.1b.

From: Alfie [UK] on
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:44:44 -0800, "Galen Somerville"
<galen(a)surewest.net> wrote:

>Thanks. I'll install the SDK for help and the extras.

You're welcome. Jack Hoxley's DX8 for VB tutorials are pretty much a
must for people using DX8 and VB6
http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/DirectX4VB/TUT_DX8Start.asp although Jack
has moved on to C++ so no further updates.
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

From: Alfie [UK] on
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:23:01 -0800, Lorin
<Lorin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Running and stuck to VB6SP6+ (just because at 64 I do not want to learn a
>new language. I have enough educational experiences with VB6. I love it and
>all that I can do with it.)
>Thanks. I will try this version DX8.1b.

You're welcome. Jack Hoxley's DX8 for VB tutorials are pretty much a
must for people using DX8 and VB6
http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/DirectX4VB/TUT_DX8Start.asp although Jack
has moved on to C++ so no further updates.
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: CAB format
Next: C string array problems (again)