From: Lorin on
Loaded latest DirectX.
Trying to run sample VB code DMDrums and get error message:
Cannot initiaialize DirectMusic
Suggestions please.

From: Ralph on

"Lorin" <Lorin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Loaded latest DirectX.
> Trying to run sample VB code DMDrums and get error message:
> Cannot initiaialize DirectMusic
> Suggestions please.

Are you using VB5/6 or VB.Net?
Which Latest 'n Greatest DirectX, 9?
In your References have you selected ....
"DirectX 9 for Visual Basic Type Library"

Are you fully qualifying the name/s?
Dim dx As DxVBLibA.DirectX9
(DirectX 9 contains earlier 7 and 8 interfaces, perhaps it is confused.)

You are likely better off asking in a DirectX newsgroup.

From: Alfie [UK] on
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:40:01 -0800, Lorin
<Lorin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Loaded latest DirectX.
>Trying to run sample VB code DMDrums and get error message:
> Cannot initiaialize DirectMusic
>Suggestions please.

VB6 can only develop with DirectX versions up to DX8.1b.

MS decided not to include VB6 type libraries for DX9 and up, you have to
use VB.NET/VB2005 and DX9 managed code instead (in which case why not
just switch to C++). If you develop using VB6/DX8 it still works
properly on a PC with DX9 just you can't use any of the DX9 features.

If you want to continue with VB6 and DirectX you'll need the DX8.1 SDK
which is not easy to find nowadays although this seems valid;
www(dot)electromanuk(dot)com(slash)directx(slash)dx8sdk.zip (165Mb)
[munged to stop news leechers hitting it and causing bandwidth load].
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

From: Galen Somerville on

"Alfie [UK]" <alfie(a)mail.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:40:01 -0800, Lorin
> <Lorin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Loaded latest DirectX.
> >Trying to run sample VB code DMDrums and get error message:
> > Cannot initiaialize DirectMusic
> >Suggestions please.
>
> VB6 can only develop with DirectX versions up to DX8.1b.
>
> MS decided not to include VB6 type libraries for DX9 and up, you have to
> use VB.NET/VB2005 and DX9 managed code instead (in which case why not
> just switch to C++). If you develop using VB6/DX8 it still works
> properly on a PC with DX9 just you can't use any of the DX9 features.
>
> If you want to continue with VB6 and DirectX you'll need the DX8.1 SDK
> which is not easy to find nowadays although this seems valid;
> www(dot)electromanuk(dot)com(slash)directx(slash)dx8sdk.zip (165Mb)
> [munged to stop news leechers hitting it and causing bandwidth load].
> --
> Alfie [UK]
> <http://www.delphia.co.uk/>
> I'm not conceited. Conceit is a fault. I have no faults.

Just curious. Why is the dx8 SDK required. I use dx8vb in my programs and don't have the SDK

Galen

From: Alfie [UK] on
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:15:24 -0800, "Galen Somerville"
<galen(a)surewest.net> wrote:

>Just curious. Why is the dx8 SDK required. I use dx8vb in my programs and don't have the SDK

Strictly speaking the whole SDK isn't required, to use DX calls from
within VB6 you only need the dx8vb.dll (type library) registered on your
system (usually in c:\windows\system32\dx8vb.dll) then for any VB
project using DX you should add a reference that
(Project->References->DirectX 8 For Visual Basic Type Library).

The SDK does though include VB samples and tutorials, the full DX
documentation, it interfaces it's help with VB6 so it can recognise you
pressing F1 on a DX method in the IDE, and it includes extra tools.

It's not strictly legal to distribute the dll, samples, or help file
independantly of the SDK so I prefer to point people to find the SDK
rather than post the 'required' bits somewhere.
--
Alfie [UK]
<http://www.delphia.co.uk/>

 |  Next  |  Last