From: Ayaz on
Hello, i am creating a system where i add, amend and delete data from my
database. i have been looking at vb6 and ado and dao. i have been told to go
for ado objects such as recordsets and connection. (adodb).

I have used VBA before and have managed to create a system using it. I have
used my vba code to create the following program in VB6 - with slight
adjustments. but it worked!!

My question is: i have looked at the coding for adodb - and it does require
more than what i did with the program below. what is the advantage of using
adodb compared to how i coding the program below? should i code my system
using the code below? - obviously i will implement error checking and
validation etc.

Dim dbShop As Database 'declare database object
Dim rsShop As Recordset 'declare recordset object

Set dbShop = OpenDatabase("shopping.mdb") 'initialiase database object
Set rsShop = dbShop.OpenRecordset("Products") 'initialise recordset object

rsShop.AddNew

rsShop("Product") = Text1.Text
rsShop("Quantity") = Text2.Text

rsShop.Update

rsShop.Close
dbShop.Close

MsgBox ("Product and Quantity sucessfully addded")

Form1.Hide

i was just checking whethe the code that i used for vba would work in vb6. i
dont know what to do, im a little confused. stick with this method or turn to
adodb objects? all i want to be able to do is add, amend, delete products,
suppliers, users and so on.

regards
From: MikeD on

"Ayaz" <Ayaz(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, i am creating a system where i add, amend and delete data from my
> database. i have been looking at vb6 and ado and dao. i have been told to
> go
> for ado objects such as recordsets and connection. (adodb).
>
> I have used VBA before and have managed to create a system using it. I
> have
> used my vba code to create the following program in VB6 - with slight
> adjustments. but it worked!!
>
> My question is: i have looked at the coding for adodb - and it does
> require
> more than what i did with the program below. what is the advantage of
> using
> adodb compared to how i coding the program below? should i code my system
> using the code below? - obviously i will implement error checking and
> validation etc.
>

> i was just checking whethe the code that i used for vba would work in vb6.
> dont know what to do, im a little confused. stick with this method or turn
> adodb objects? all i want to be able to do is add, amend, delete products,
> suppliers, users and so on.

Your posted code is using DAO. If your database is Access AND is going to
remain Access for at least the forseeable future, I'd recommend staying with
DAO. One reason is that you're apparently already somewhat familiar with it.
A second reason is there's no advantage that ADO is going to give you for an
Access backend database. In fact, DAO is slightly more efficient than ADO
with Access databases.

Now, if you might upsize your Access database to something else in the
future (SQL Server, MSDE, Oracle, MySQL or whatever), then ADO would be the
way to go since it will make things much easier for when you do upsize. It's
very possible there would be little (and maybe no) code that you'd have to
change, other than specifying a different OLEDB Provider and/or connection
string.

Are you even more confused now? <g>

BTW, have you previously posted under the name Pinto1uk? Lot of
similarities between this post and posts made by Pinto1uk. If you are the
same person, then again I recommend you visit your local library or
bookstore and get a decent book on database programming with VB6.

--
Mike
Microsoft MVP Visual Basic

From: Ayaz on
hello mike, thank you for all your help. i have just acquired a book called
introduction to database programming. will be spending some time looking
through it.

i am not pint1uk.

From: Ivar on
Just my opinion. If you just want to do as you say then stick with the DAO,
it's faster and simpler to code, and does not need so many dependencies to
install. If one day you want to print reports using the VB report designer
then you wouldn't need to update your existing code, but you will need to
start using the increased capabilities of the ADO.

Just summink else to think about.

Ivar

here's another thought to ponder upon. I have built (and so have others)
apps using VB6 That adds, deletes, updates, queries, sorts, lists, reports
and all sorts of other things on thousands of records without using
databases or anything outside the very basics of VB itself. Just another way
to go :-)

From: Gman on
Just curious:

> here's another thought to ponder upon. I have built (and so have others)
> apps using VB6 That adds, deletes, updates, queries, sorts, lists,
reports
> and all sorts of other things on thousands of records without using
> databases or anything outside the very basics of VB itself. Just
another way
> to go :-)

What did you use? XML? Flat text files? Binary files?

Thanks