From: Hector Santos on
Folks,

Can anyone tell me what kind of issues we can expect from an VDD that
we install under the new "Windows", I guess in regards to any security
or installation elevation concerns?

This VDD virtualizes COM1 to interface within our communications
framework for our interactive hosting server. It allows for 16 bit
"external" applications (mostly console based games) written by 3rd
party developers to run and interface under our virtualized comm
system. These "Retro" Games are still very popular and generally use a
COM1 port to interface with the user which the VDD virtualizes over
the actual comm channel the user is on, like Telnet.

I understand 16 bit sub-system is no longer supported under a 64bit
Windows system. So I'm mostly asking about VDD installation and
usage under newer 32 bit versions of Windows.

TIA

--
HLS
From: Tim Roberts on
Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me what kind of issues we can expect from an VDD that
>we install under the new "Windows", I guess in regards to any security
>or installation elevation concerns?

To my knowledge, nothing has changed here. The VDD concept hasn't received
any attention in a rather long time. The sample VDDs were all removed from
the Vista WDK, although the headers are still present.
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.