From: JF Mezei on
Mac Pro, with digital audio out, VLC sending digital encoded audio over
the fibre to the stereo. Often crashes when starting a new chapter of a
DVD or similar encoded video with dolby sound.

It is always the following driver at the top:

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA

This causes a kernel panic, a real system crash, so deep that you need
to use the hardware on/off switch to turn off the machine and then
restart it.

Am I the only one ? This has gone on for quite some time. I notice that
Apple doesn't really have much support for dolby surround output, its
"audio midi setup" doesn't let me select encoded audio with 5 speakers,
and Itunes feeds stereo movies, not dolby surround, so I am wondering if
support for true dugital audio is never really tested by Apple ?